Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping my butts warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping my butts warm

I'm cooking for a large group (my daughter's engagement party) and plan to do several pork butts for pulled pork. So, timing may be an issue. is it better to pull it after it's done and try to keep it warm or rewarm it (risking it drying out )or wrap them and keep them in a cooler and pull them later closer to serving time?

Always better to a) avoid reheating and b) pulling until ready to eat. How long do you think you'll have to keep them warm? What equipment do you have?

Comment

I agree with Mr John

Comment

Agree with John as well. Keep the butts in a faux cambro and pull at the last possible moment for best results. Have everything else totally ready to go and THEN pull the trigger on the pork. Having a helper pull pork as well will help immensely

Comment

I agree with the above. Plus, if you keep the drippings handy from your wrap you can always add those in as you pull to get the moisture you want.

Comment

I think I can time it fairly close - I might only need to keep them at most for 2-3 hours until I need to serve it. (depending on my daughter's itinerary!) I'll have some chicken to do also but I plan on having a helper. I was planning on using a large insulated "cooler" to hold it. I like the idea of using the drippings. All of your suggestions sound good and I appreciate your help. I knew I could depend on this forum. I can't screw this up!! Thanks!

Comment

Seamo:
              I had one of the butts I did last week done super early and threw it in a pre-warmed faux cambro. It was in there for 5-1/2 hrs and the lowest is got was 155 degrees. I just put it in a 300 degree oven for 10 min, while I was pulling the other butt, to get it a little warmer. Tasted great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here