Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

False Cap on Pork Shoulder - Trim or Leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    What do you do then tie it up with string?

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    If I get one with that on it I trim it off, rub it and put it on with the butt. It will be good in about 2+ hours and ready for the grill boss to snack on. I never waste anything that starts with P. As far as trimming I take all of the outside fat off or as much as possible without cutting into the meat to much.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Run with it. I like more fat and less bark.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    replied
    Trim it off it it is only thin. For the thin offcut, roll it or platt it, pin it with a wooden skewer. Pit master snack while you are cooking the butt. (Waste nothing)

Leave a comment:

• Greygoose
    replied
    Lookin’ at the pic and how it was trimmed,,,,,I’d rub it and let the heat do it’s thing with that Bad Larry

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with this. Trim it heavily.

• Huskee
    replied
    I HEAVILY trim my pork butts, I even dig down in, hack & slash style, and remove fat bands. There's so much fat in them that any I can remove now is less wads of fat in the finished product.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    Me? I prefer to trim as much exterior fat as I can on these. There's plenty of fat throughout that piece of meat to keep it moist, and I tend to get better bark this way.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I quit trimming my fat caps. I just score them into little squares and run fat cap up.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    started a topic False Cap on Pork Shoulder - Trim or Leave?

False Cap on Pork Shoulder - Trim or Leave?

So, I'm trimming up this 8½ lb shoulder to smoke tomorrow for pulled pork. It has a "false cap" on the side opposite they fat cap. There's a picture of it below. I don't know whether to trim it off or leave it. What say you fellows pitmasters?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_154403-01.jpeg
Views:	857
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	860662

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here