Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone buy Iberico ribs online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone buy Iberico ribs online?

Henrik has a post where he’s making Iberico ribs, and they look great and I think I’m going to ask Mrs Mosca to get me some for Fathers Day. But Henrik is in Europe, and his sources are going to be different.

I found several places online to source them, and the prices are all pretty much the same. Has anyone purchased them anywhere, anyone who can give a recommendation?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mosca; June 2, 2020, 12:01 PM.

Here is the only source I found https://www.marxfoods.com/Iberico-Spare-Ribs

Edit: The Iberico ribs will not be as large as you are used to.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 2, 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I have bought from Marx and the quality was definitely top notch. It wasnt the ribs i got though, but it is the only place ive seen them.

Comment

Yep, Marx was one of the places I was considering.

Comment

There used to be a place out of DC called Wagshal's where I used to buy several racks at the beginning of the summer. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find them from Wagshal's anymore and have been researching your same question. Marx seems to be less expensive than other sources I have seen selling actual Spanish iberico ribs.

There are a few farms that have brought the patta negra pig (which is the species used for Iberico meat) over from Spain to breed in the US -- I'm trying to source "iberico" ribs from one of these farms this summer to see how they compare.

Curious if others have leads - the ribs are addictive. I agree with mountainsmoker that the ribs will not be as large as we are used to with U.S. style pigs. There is a lot more marbling and they don't need to be cooked nearly as long. Mosca if helpful, here is a link to my write up from a few years ago: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...tta-negra-ribs. Of course, Henrik is the expert in smoking iberico.

Comment

La Tienda doesn't seem to sell ribs, but several other parts of Iberico. No Iberico at my other meat vendors of choice. My bro could probably sell some out of the chicago warehouse for Sysco.

Comment

You can get two kinds:
              1. Ribs (not baby back) from suckling pigs. These are small, but taste great.
              2. Ribs, just your regular slab o ribs, only meatier. Get these if you can. They’re the bomb.

Comment

Here’s another question: how do they compare to Berkshire, Duroc, etc?

I did buy the SRF ribs once and I was sorely disappointed, they were not just small, but about 25% shiners.

Comment

Bought them many times from Marx. They are delicious, but have about half the amount of meat than your standard baby backs. I've mixed them and have done blind tastings and the Iberico wins for taste.

Comment

• Bumby
                    Bumby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This has been my experience as well.

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                  Here’s another question: how do they compare to Berkshire, Duroc, etc?

I did buy the SRF ribs once and I was sorely disappointed, they were not just small, but about 25% shiners.
                  Same experience here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here