Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some new (to me) spare ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some new (to me) spare ribs

I had to cook two butts this past weekend, and only had one, so I was on a mission on Thursday to find another one. No luck finding anything the first three places I tried, I remembered that my local PriceLe$$ Foods has a halfway decent meat department.

While there, I noticed that they had numerous boxes stacked in one of those open freezer cases out on the floor. As I got closer I could see a sign for ribs, $8 for 10 lbs. The kicker is that the boxes were closed up with those tight plastic bands, so I couldn't exactly peek inside without tearing the box apart.

Anyway, it turns out they are packed by these guys about an hour up the road. Their sausage is pretty good, and the ribs were dirt cheap, so why not?

I just started thawing them tonight and plan to cook them this weekend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200527_213654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	853021Click image for larger version  Name:	20200527_213738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	853022

Last edited by Steve R.; May 27, 2020, 07:59 PM.

Always carry a utility knife to cut those pesky bands.
    Looks like a nice score.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I carry one of those mini Leatherman multitools on my key ring. I just didn't feel right about cutting them off in the store, since those were the only things holding the box closed on either side.

Good luck with those. Could be just me, or just the picture, but it looks pretty freezer burnt to me.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my first concern when I opened the box and saw they were just loosely wrapped in that plastic bag. But they appear to have been ice glazed. There is a thin layer of clear ice all over the exterior with some ice crystals on top of that (mainly on the ends of the bones). If they suck, at least I didn't pay very much for them.
      Last edited by Steve R.; May 28, 2020, 07:50 AM.

"Its Goood." Can't wait to see how it goes.

Comment

Hey, they’re going to be just fine, cuz yer eatin WIBS. Nuthin better.

Comment

Good luck on your cook!

Comment

Went with some MMD for the rub, and glazed with Blues Hog Raspberry Chipotle. Not a lot of meat on these guys, but I guess that's how a sausage plant rolls. . I realized too late that there was no way I was getting both full racks in the 26" kettle, even with rib racks. So I cut off the least meaty half of each one (not even enough meat on those to mess with) so they would lay flat on the grate. The longest bones are a good 10". These are essentially a slab of baby backs + St. Louis cut spare ribs, just the entire rib in one piece.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200530_155710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.37 MB ID:	854444
          Last edited by Steve R.; May 30, 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the only ribs you find in stores these parts. The left over bones from the meat factories. That's why I buy my bellies whole and butcher myself.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            My first thought when I saw the "10 lbs." printed on the box was "it seems odd that they box up exactly 10 lbs of ribs." Then when you see the hack job they did in taking off the meat, it all makes sense. It looks like the butcher called in sick and they got some guy with a chainsaw to butcher these. lol

So how did they eat? Would you get them again?

Honestly, a 10 lb box of almost any meat at a good price always gets my BBQ engines starting.

Looks like you had a fun time on your Pork Rib Discovery Adventure.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a fun exercise in doing more with less, but I probably wouldn't do this again if there were any decent options. Just too much of a pain to manage with the length of those bones. Cooking both full racks I'd have had to bring out the Ranch. These will not have been injected with anything, since they are just a by-product of sausage making, so they have that going for them. The neighbors we invited as Guinnea pigs raved about them, and I sent most of the leftovers home with them.
            Last edited by Steve R.; May 31, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here