Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt

Well I tried something different this time.
    I've smoked quite a few butts and was never really satisfied. They all seem to come out oily. I trimmed the fat and I smoked at about 225° and at the stall I wrapped with either paper or foil. At about 200° I would put them in a cooler for a couple hours.

But not this time.
    Instead of trimming the fat off, I cross hatched it with a knife about 3/4 inch apart just through the fat.
    Seasoned as usual.
    Bumped the temp up to 240°.
    Let them ride until I had an IT of 201° without even looking at it not once. Place it on a foil pan, covered with foil and placed in my ice chest for 2 or 3 hours.
    9 1/5 pound butt.
    Smoked for 17 hours.

This was the best I have ever made.
    Wasn't to oily and wasn't dry at all. The bark was amazing.

I put the meat on at 9pm. Took it off at 2pm.

Perfect it was.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joetee; May 25, 2020, 05:48 PM.

Yum! I always delay wrapping until after the stall- more bark, more smoke, more good & more better. Nice work.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed

Oh yeah. Yum.

Comment

Yum Yum!

Comment

Oh and by the way. I loaded that Weber up with Fogo charcoal. 1/2 extra large lumps and 1/2 medium to large chunks. And when I took the meat off I closed it all off. 2 hours later, I removed the lid and opens up the bottom vent and it relit itself hot enough to grill corn on the cob. Actually I burnt it a bit. All on one load without relighting.
        Amazing. 17 hour butt plus the corn.
        Love this Fogo charcoal.

I use a smoke attachment I bought.

Cajun Bandit™ 22.5″ Kettle Smoker Conversion Kit
        Last edited by Joetee; May 25, 2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Tasty lookin, glad ya found a method that achieved yer desired results!
          Sounds like a Great Cook!
          Nice Job, Brother!

Comment

I've stopped trying to smoke butt in the 200-250 range, depending on the mood my BKK is in I'm in the 280-330 range.
            On at 8am, off by 3-4pm wrapping in foil at 180 done at 201-211.
            Interesting idea cross hatching like that, may give that a try.
            Nice job.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Nice looking cook!! Have you ever tried bumping the cooking temps up to 275-325? I’ve had really good luck running hotter in my PBC and wrapping at around 170. Just did 2 big 10 pounders this weekend in about 8 hours including at least an hour rest.
                Sounds like I’m going to need to try some Fogo in my kettle now too.

Comment

Another vote for the 275-300 range. Good pork butts have plenty of intramuscular fat that they can take the higher heat. Second I do not wrap I have tried it both ways and it doesn't matter, the meat is just as juicy if you do or don't. Do make sure you leave a thin layer of fat on your butt. And yes do give it about an hour to rest. I doon't use a cooler, but cover with foil and a towel on a platter to catch any juices. When it reaches 145 I pull and serve immediately

Comment

Wow great cook. 17 hours for a 9 lb roast....that seems pretty long even for 240??

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've been pretty consistent with ~16-18 hrs going unwrapped.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here