Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time pork picnic on the Pit Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time pork picnic on the Pit Barrel

She lost two pounds taking off the skin and fat cap (13.11-11.1) The pile on the left is what was cut off the leg part. Going to hang so it is not flat, but vertically oriented in relation to the bottom of the pit. Need to cut a couple more pieces of rebar. Probably hang around 1 A.M tomorrow night. Got the salt on for the brine. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010pponpb391.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	8519

I just bought a picnic at my Sam's club. Getting ready to trim and salt it. Do you plan on using butchers twine? Or is it needed on a picnic? I assume you are doing it for pulled pork...

Comment

I'm going to see how loose it is when I put the hooks in it. I tie butts together. Yeh, pulled pork.

Comment

At 4.5 hours till lift off it was time for a little oil and Modified Memphis Rub

Click image for larger version

Name:	pppb.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	8888 Click image for larger version

Name:	pppb1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	8889

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good!

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          What did you modify on the MD?

Check? Check? Did you get that hangin?

Comment

Extended the hang time to 4:30 A.M. CST (technically 4:34) so I could have this for supper. I substitute Allspice and Thyme powder, for the Ginger and Rosemary powder, respectively.

Cut my last piece of rebar, lit her up with solid B & B and gave her a 15 minute preheat. I had some other rebar I re-purposed from another cooker that were just a little too short. Any movement and they would fall off. Click image for larger version

Name:	pppb2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	8972

Comment

4 hour mark. 144 internal. Barrel temp lower 260's. Peaked at 300. Dropped to 290 after about 1/2 hour. Nice slow steady drop sine then.

Protruding bone with nice bark....

Name:	pppb3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	8994 Click image for larger version

Name:	pppb4.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	8995

Comment

Mmmmm, makes me wish I had one goin' today.

Comment

Man that sucker is smelling gooooooooooood!! 5 hour 10 minute mark. 152 internal. Headed to church.

Took off the rebar, laid on the grate with some foil underneath. Kinda somewhat leaned it on one side of the barrel with the hooks propping it off the side wall.

Put some foil around one of the rebar holes to keep the temp under 250. Barrel temp has settled in the upper 230's. Gotta like that.

She can ride to probe tender.

Comment

9 hour mark. 163 internal. Church went loooong (good thing) so the cooker cooled off a little more than I wanted, no biggee, got her at about 220 now still rolling unwrapped.

Gonna bark the chrud out of this thing. I don't need it until about 8 tonight so extended cooking time is welcome.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And how much of that bark will actually make it to the table?

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Less than what came out the pit.

At the 10 hour and 41 minute mark it got put to rest.

At the 15 hour and 51 minute mark I got to make me a nice little sammich before bed.

I yielded exactly 6 pounds of pulled product off of a 13.11 pound picnic.

Not bad for that much skin and bone, lotta skin and bone compared to a butt. Looong muscle fibers.

Name:	pppb7.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	9210
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 10, 2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nicely done, sir!

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That bark pic was just for you!!

Lookin good Jrod. So what do you prefer to work with, butt or picnic? I'm guessing butt might be more user friendly?

Comment

Yeh, I think with the Picnic it would be better to get out the electric knife (after you remove the bones) and just cut out some cross sections and pull those independently.

Twas a little work getting the skin and fat off, bones came right out, actually almost fell out.

For ribs I like my Modified Memphis Dust. For pork shoulder I prefer the PBC All-Purpose and then right before I throw it in the cooker, a light sprinkle of 50/50 white and brown sugar.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here