Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ ham experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ ham experiment

I've tried Meathead's ham smoking method and it worked fine, but the smoke really didn't penetrate the meat much. I'm also not a fan of spiral sliced hams, because the slices get too dry for my liking.

So, I experimented with a butt portion ham using some of Meathead's tricks and some ideas of my own. I soaked the ham in water overnight like I would do with corned beef to reduce salt. For preparation, I trimmed off the outside fat and the 'factory bark', made some cuts into the meat and applied MMD rub. I figured the cuts would allow more smoke to be absorbed into the meat, and to help build up some bark during the cook.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Vault gas smoker I've really grown to like lately, but any smoker could be used. I put some chunks of cherry roots in the chip pan and preheated to about 350 to get the smoke rolling. Of course, when I opened the smoker to put the meat on, the temperature drops quickly. Then, I reduce the heat to about 250-275 so the meat gets a chance to get some bark. I let it cook for an hour, then raised the temperature to about 350 to reach a good internal temperature, about 135.

The finished product took on a whole new flavor for ham. The smoke flavor was definitely improved (and fresher tasting). The bark is great and the meat was not dried out at all.

My wife and daughter were not crazy about ham until I tried this. They rave about it. It's worth a try, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimmed.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	851432

Name:	ready_with_rub.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	851433

Name:	Smoke_Wood_Pan.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	851434Click image for larger version

Name:	Done.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	851435

Name:	Ready_to_slice.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	851436

Looks great! Good job steve_woolston .

Comment

Lovin it! Properly done, there are few thangs in this life that trump a properly smoked ham, Brother.
      I do em alla th time, because of that fact.

Comment

I agree with you about spiral cut ham slices; always too dry for my liking. Good job Steve, I’m going to give this process a try very soon. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Looks yummy!

Comment

Been wanting to smoke a ham, may have to do it this way when I try.

Comment

Nicely done .... now the question I have to ask myself is whether I want to cure my own ham in a few weeks, or do this. I’ve wet cured hams before, and really like it. BUT this approach would save me having to cure it myself. Hmmmmmm

Either way, that ham looks boootifull!

Comment

Nothing better than a ham you smoke yourself, that ham really looks good. Do them all the time. I start with fresh hams and cure them for 10-12 days depending on weight. Then I smoke them at 200 till they reach 156 internal. Don't forget to inject along the bone to prevent bone, to prevent souring.
                  t
                  Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 25, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

That looks great. Love the big chunks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here