Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork

Hey all, I’ve made maybe 8-10 pork butts using Meatheads method and Memphis rub. A few things I’m finding:

1) an 8-9lb butt takes me 18+ hours at 225-230. I don’t wrap because I like the crunchy bark - is it possible I’ve got issues with temp taking? I use a thermoworks digital thermometer - one for air and one in meat

2) I tend to jack up the heat at the end if I’m running out of time and I’m worried this creates the burnt bark flavor I sometimes get.

3) I typically trim most all of the fat cap. I put on fat side up and have a water pan in my vertical propane smoker.

any thoughts on some tweaks in my process? I was thinking of adding a foil pan under meat in last 1-2 hours of cooking to catch some juices to mix back in when pulling. I like trimming most fat ahead of time because like Meathead, I want bark on meat I’ll eat!

Thanks everyone, this has been a great forum to join

I’d cook at higher temps if you want it done sooner. 250-275 would be just fine. If the bark is how you like it, you could try wrapping before the bark gets too hard. This depends on your cooker and personal preference.

Comment

I’m having good luck kicking my temps up between 275-300 and even higher at times. I wrap at 170 and use foil so I can collect the liquid and add some of it back in after pulling.
      A butt that size takes me around 7-8 hours if cooking time and 2 hours resting in a cooler.

Comment

Yeah, too many people make 225 a thing. 250-275 is fine.

Also, of course, you can cut it in 2 and it will cook a bit faster.

Comment

I use my Weber 22 with a Smokenator basket of coals and a DigiQ set for 275 and a small loaf pan over the coals. For an 8 lb butt it takes about 7 hours. When you set the probe in the meat make sure you are not close to the bone and that you are in meat not fat. I find you do not need to rest pork in a cooler like beef. Tent it and let it cool until you can pull it. I have a pair of bear claws that make quick work of it and some of the commercial guys here in NC use a cleaver on you it. Your choice. I will try to catch the drippings then de-fat them and poor them over the pulled pork. Then being from NC I will add some NC vinegar sauce to it.

Comment

Probably because my cook takes longer I find that I’m not resting enough. Is the resting to help finish the cooking or just to lower temps and make it easier to pull?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Pork unlike beef does not need a long rest period to relax the muscles. I tent a butt with foil and wait till it gets down to pulling temps about 140-150.

I don’t know what you are cooking on nor do I know what you are using to track cooking temperature or meat temperature. Those three items might shed light on the issue. I cook on a BGE and cooking 10# Butts routinely take 12-14 hours.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I see part of our difference is that I smoke at 275-300. This will make a big difference in the time to cook. I cook with moist heat the first few hours.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              mountainsmoker how long does you cook typically take at that temp? Cooking on a Kamado?
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 24, 2020, 07:16 PM.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              It takes me about 8 hours.

Thanks to all for your replies. Got the smoker going through the night. Also trimmed it more than I ever have before - let’s see how it goes!
            Attached Files

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope it comes out well. What temp do you decide on?

• etronsman
              etronsman commented
              Editing a comment
              I ended up around 235-240 overnight. After 12 hours it was stalling at 170 so for last two hours I have it up to 290, and temp shot up to 190. Debating on lowering back down to 240 or just let it finish out at higher temp?

I have a Camp Chef gas smoker like yours. I cut my butts in half to cook faster and get more bark, and trim all the fat off. I agree that 275 - 300 is not too hot - it also helps get through the stall. I wrap in butcher paper when it hits around 160- 175. That helps it get to 203 faster and I haven't noticed much if any change in the bark. The faux cambro resting is very important - at least one hour...two hours is not too long. Open the lid on your cooler to let steam out occasionally - the steam could soften the bark.

Comment

Originally posted by etronsman View Post
              Probably because my cook takes longer I find that I’m not resting enough. Is the resting to help finish the cooking or just to lower temps and make it easier to pull?
              Rest for an hour in a cooler with towels. You'll find it's easier to.pull and the juices have redistributed nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by etronsman View Post
                Thanks to all for your replies. Got the smoker going through the night. Also trimmed it more than I ever have before - let’s see how it goes!
                Looking forward to seeing your results!

Comment

I did an +8 lber yesterday on the kettle. I cut these in half and use a drip pan to catch all that love. Ran in the 250* to 270* range. Just shy of 10 hours counting hold.

Comment

Here we are after 17 hours - 235-240 for first 12 hours, between 260-290 for last 5. And yeah I picked at it before I tent it!
                    Attached Files

Comment

my cc pooper takes 18 hours + a few in the faux cambro for a couple of butts at 225 high smoke setting so sounds right to me. usually put mine on 8-9pm for tomorrow’s dinner

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here