Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby back - bit dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Agree, I don't temp ribs either its a feel thing.
    I do cook at 300ish depending on the BKK's mood.
    Wrap in foil is optional depending on how the cook is progressing
    Tried mayo as a binder a few weeks ago and the family raved about the results so a binder is something the OP should consider.
    Kept them moist without the crutch

• jfmorris
    replied
    I've been smoking ribs for 30 something years, and that is one of the few meats I do not temp. It's more a time and bend test thing. The meaty baby backs or loin backs usually take me about 5 hours at 225 to 250, without wrapping. When I used to crutch them in foil, it was more like a 2-2-1 method, still about 5 hours at 225 to 250. If I rushed them, I don't think I would do it at 350. Maybe a butt could handle that heat, but it would likely dry out ribs.

Leave a comment:

• Mark-B
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, next time I think I’ll just ride them out @ 275 and see how they are. They were an off brand from Target. I usually go with Hormel, but because of reduced availability, not much selection right now.

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    Hard to say but I think you may have cooked them too hot for too long. BB’s are tricky that way.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Don't think I would have taken it up to 350, nothing wrong with where it was. I probably only do baby backs 4 hours at 275, so you really only saved yourself a half hour. I also don't temp ribs, don't trust it with the bones so close. Bend test only. Just my $.02.

Leave a comment:

• Mark-B
    started a topic Baby back - bit dry

Baby back - bit dry

I just cooked a rack of Baby Backs on my kettle. I usually do spares. Mine turned out a bit dry. I cooked em @ 275 for 2:30 hrs and then sprayed with apple juice and foil wrapped for a little over an hour @ around 350. I took them off when they were probe tender bout 203. Rested in a cooler for 30 minutes. I then put them over hot coals for a few minutes and cut them up. The flavor was great, but somewhat dry. I was very surprised. Next time I think I’ll doing them slower and longer. Probably just rushed them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here