Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun little baby back rib discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun little baby back rib discovery

Earlier this week I pulled some smoked baby backs out of the deep freeze. Ate some of them but was left with a few ribs that needed to be eaten but I didn’t think I would get to them.

So I figured if I cut them off the bone tonight maybe I’ll have them with eggs for breakfast (rib omelet, smoked eggs Benedict, etc) which is probably the only meal I’ll be cooking over the next few days. As I was slicing the meat off, one of the slices looked awfully similar to bacon, so I was curious to see how it worked being fried like bacon.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	45A5072B-DD2C-445F-BF19-398EEC84137C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	850581So tonight I took one slice for a test drive and low and behold, it worked! Got nice and crispy and browned like bacon but kept it’s smokey/meaty rib flavor. The rest of the slices may get fried up tomorrow morning with my eggs.

Just a PSA if you have a few extra ribs next time and it’s breakfast time!

Click image for larger version  Name:	3B06B4CC-4C3C-4A60-B7D2-2D407172AFB4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	850580

Click image for larger version  Name:	2A8803FF-1476-4184-B4CE-9256C3E15587.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	850579

Last edited by shify; May 23, 2020, 05:45 PM.

Cool! I have some left over BB’s in the freezer right now. Taking them out right away. Thank for the tip.

Comment

Brilliant, fun, and yummy lookin' ta boot.

Comment

Allright, yeah! Nuthin like fried wibs & eggs fer breakfast!

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I will have to remember this, FireMan. When a passel o' people come to visit (well, if 'n when that ever happens again), I often serve hard boiled cold eggs in my breakfast buffet. Cold wibs might be a tasty addition. OTOH, the times I've served wibs for supper, they were all gone and the platter licked clean by the end of the evening.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          IowaGirl , you have friends who lick platters? As a group or one at a time? Do they make noises whilst doin it? Inquiring minds.........

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have friends who would not think twice about licking a platter clean if the food is that good. How crazy they get depends on the particular group of friends I'm entertaining. The actual details are for for me to know and you to wonder about.

I don't usually buy BB's, but what a neat idea.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Might work better with spares, since they are adjacent to the belly anyway.

Lovin th ideal!

RiBacon!

Best of both worlds, Win-Win!

Comment

Leftover ribs? I am thinking about that anomaly. When it happens in my family I will sure remember your discovery. Thank you for the post.

Comment

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            Stay at home orders + two people that eat ribs in the house + Costco rib three packs + still gotta smoke = leftovers. A previously rare concept that is multiplying in frequency.

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you on the 3 packs. Me + 2 sons = no leftovers. But I'm putting this in the memory bank in case there are family meal cancellations that result in leftovers.

A little light breakfast today. Two eggs over easy, rib bacon and a bagel

Click image for larger version

Name:	6B9F80CE-03B7-4E2C-95B2-911B39361E8A.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	850853

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Did ya use bacon grease to cook dat RiBacon??? 'S what I'da done, but, then again, I use it fer most everything...
            Because: BACON!!!

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones - as luck would have it I made the kids regular bacon for breakfast so did in fact fry both the rib bacon and eggs in bacon fat without even having to hit up my stash in the fridge. Eggs are always cooked in the bacon fat.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Fine Job, Me Boyo! That's what I was all kinda wantin to hear
            Ya Done Good!

BBbacon, brilliant!

Comment

Will try that. Looks great.

Comment

have you ever had beef bacon? They sell peppered akauashi beef belly bacon at Fresh Market. Texas as hell!

Comment

Ooooo, I've got a wack of STL wibs leftover...…..

Comment

Great idea

Comment

Pitmaster Club Members think alike, I had a leftover babyback/coleslaw omelette just the other day! It was delicious!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• shify
                      shify commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Damn coleslaw in an omelet. A braver pitmaster than I!!!

• Schwyy
                      Schwyy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think i just needed more room in the fridge, Shify, we connected on a pastrami post a while back, have you taken the pastrami plunge???

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here