Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berkshire Pork Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berkshire Pork Butt?

Hey all, new member and still learning the ropes. I’m sure this has been asked but I want to order a nice 8-10 lb Berkshire pork butt for pulled pork. I live in Jacksonville FL and surprisingly can’t seem to find one or get a butcher to feel like it’s worth ordering. Thoughts / recommendations?

You are experiencing what many others are too since Tyson, Smithfield and other major companies’ processing plants production is being hampered by virus outbreaks. It is supply chain problem. Many have reopened but seem to be operating at reduced capacity. It has become so bad that many pig growers can’t send their animals for processing and are being forced to cull their herds.
    I can only suggest to keep trying your local suppliers who have direct contracts with the majors, like Costco, Walmart and Sam’s Club, and seem to be getting limited supplies, but they also sell out quickly. Good luck on your search.

As far as heritage breeds keep checking sites like Creekstone and Porter Road. They also seem to be having supply problems but occasionally have quantities in stock.
    Last edited by Donw; May 19, 2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

This is exactly the problem folks!! Search for a local custom processing business!! Most of the people you guys call butchers buy boxed meat from the big suppliers. There are businesses that buy from local farmers and process them right on site. I have tons of customers that have never ordered a half a hog before and they can't believe how good it is. There are people driving two hours to pick up half a hog from me. There is no pork shortage their is a processing shortage created from not supporting local farms. Sorry to the OP this rant is in no way directed at you!!

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        So we can assume you are busy. Good to here!

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP I am way past busy.. coming up fastly on swamped!! I guess it is a good problem to have.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Here you go etronsman : https://heritagefoods.com/collection...n-shoulder-4lb

Comment

I buy my Berkshire pork butts from Porter Road. Always excellent service and great product....

This Pork Butt will be the most flavorful you've ever had. Cook this cut low and slow (smoke or braise) to enjoy insanely tender results, and the deep flavor that can only result from pork that was raised outdoors. Our 100% pasture-raised pigs combine the best features from the Berkshire, Chester White, and Duroc breeds, and are raised with no antibiotics and no added hormones.

Comment

I lived in Jacksonville for 5 years and never found a good butcher shop. Tillman's is OK and Carroll's sometimes has some decent stuff. But I never really found anywhere that could get anything really good or unique.

Cheshire Pork is one place I have always wanted to try but haven't yet: https://buypork.com/pork/boston-butt-2-butts/

Porter Road (like Troutman mentioned) has some great stuff but they have had very limited supply for a few weeks now. I think they restock their pork Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday so check around 1 PM ET.

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              I ordered their pork collars and belly from Cheshire Pork and was quite satisfied. Also, their prices were reduced by 20% at checkout, and shipping was free >$100 order. Don't know if its still true, but the discount did not show until I actually went to checkout.

A week ago our local butcher had Berkshire Butt, he regularly carried it so maybe he has an allocation.

Comment

Odd idea from left field coming. My brother is a Sysco salesman down in Central FL. Due to COVID, he’s doing pop-ups at local HOA’s, donating profits to charity. He could almost certainly get a Berkshire Butt. Maybe there’s a local Sysco rep up your way who can get you in on an order while his regular customers are out.

Comment

You can also try Creekstone Farms. I ordered a couple of bone-in butts a few weeks ago. Nice stuff, and they seem to have them in stock.

https://www.creekstonefarms.com/coll...s/natural-pork

Comment

Thanks all, I ended up joining the waitlist on Porter Road and then was notified this morning they had an 8-10 lb butt, ordered it up!

Comment

Interestingly enough, I just bought 4 ~4 lb butts for (I kid you not) $1 per pound. Weren't even old. Didn't want to be greedy and buy more...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here