Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pork Butt on the Lone Star Grillz Adjustable Charcoal Grilll & Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pork Butt on the Lone Star Grillz Adjustable Charcoal Grilll & Smoker

I've been wanting to smoke a pork butt for quite a while, and when I found a good looking 9.5 lb shoulder at Sam's Club, I snatched it up.

We dry brined it overnight, and the next morning, injected it and rubbed with the recipe below. Put it on the pit, fat side up. Pit temp held steady at 275°.

DRY RUB
    ½ TABLESPOON DARK BROWN SUGAR
    1 TABLESPOON GRANULATED SUGAR
    2¼ TEASPOONS GARLIC SALT
    2¼ TEASPOONS KOSHER SALT
    ½ TABLESPOON PAPRIKA
    1 TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
    â…› TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO LEAVES
    â…› TEASPOON CAYENNE PEPPER
    â…› TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
    â…› TEASPOON BLACK PEPPER

INJECTION
    ¾ CUP APPLE JUICE
    ½ CUP WATER ½ CUP SUGAR
    ¼ CUP SALT
    2 TABLESPOONS WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

Lilly, Chris. Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book . Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale.
    Kindle Edition.

I spritzed it hourly with apple juice and after about 5 1/2 hours when the fat cap split, I pulled it and wrapped it with the remaining injection juice. After another two hours it probed tender with internal temp at 205°. Took it off, wrapped it in towels and let it sit in our cooler until dinner time. We had two other couples in to dinner and they all wanted some to take home, so we didn't have our usual multiple pounds of pulled pork leftovers. We vacuum sealed individual servings and put them in the freezer. A much better way than a microwave to reheat BBQ if you have access to a sous vide cooker is to put the frozen meat in the water bath at 140° for an hour or so. Just did that for lunch yesterday and it was delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_100322.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	847537

In the smoke:

Name:	20200405_100328.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	847538

Fat cap split, time to wrap.

Name:	20200405_120323.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	847539

Unwrapped in all its glory:

Name:	20200405_175443.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	847540

Time to dig in:

Name:	20200405_180412.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	847541

For folks that like numbers:

Name:	Pork Butt Chart.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	847542

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Yum

Comment

That looks awfully good. Great minds think alike, I just did my first one yesterday on my LSG cabinet.

Comment

Very impressive,,,,,
          looks like a great performing smoker and grill
          congrats on the purchase

Comment

• AZ Fogey
            AZ Fogey commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a very unimaginative cook. I follow recipes and procedures. I can't imagine the quality of food this pit could put out if it were in the hands of some of the truly talented pitmasters that hang out on this forum. It's just a total joy to cook on.

• Greygoose
            Greygoose commented
            Editing a comment
            AZ,,,,ur right up there with the best when it comes to good intel

• AZ Fogey
            AZ Fogey commented
            Editing a comment
            Greygoose - Only because I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands. I spend at least an hour a day on YouTube BBQ channels, hoping that something will rub off and make me a better cook. 😊

Awesome looking cook AZ.
          Question. Does leaving a fat cap on the butt bring anything extra to the table? I’ve always trimmed off almost all of the fat on butts.
          More juiciness?? Flavor?

Comment

Steve B - I put a lot of stock in Aaron Franklin's cooking knowledge. Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs

He trims only obviously obnoxious fat parts off the fat cap, and he mentions fat and flavor in the same sentence several times throughout the video. When I went back and looked at this video, I realized how much my cook mirrored his. Usually, something goes astray on my end with a bit of detriment to the end product, but not this time.

On my next pork butt, I'm going to use the LSG Adjustable as a vertical smoker by putting the meat fat side down on the top shelf on the hot side, and let the fat drip down on the fire. I did a brisket this way and it came out really well. It may not be easy to moderate the temp on the top shelf to 275°. I'll just have to try it and see. If it doesn't work, I can always move it to the lower rack on the cool side where I KNOW it works.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool. Thanks for the info. 👍

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your plan. Since I'm a huge fan of those flavor compounds released when meat drips onto a fire, I'm eager to see if you can taste the difference with this approach.

Kathryn

I've got two butts sitting in the fridge ready for tomorrow mornings date with the Keg

Comment

• AZ Fogey
              AZ Fogey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but what kind of pit are you using, and what brand of beer is in the Keg? 😁

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry that post was kind vague.
              Its a Broil King Keg, hope to have it at temp by 8am, dry rub the butts, smoke at 300 for 8 hours or so.
              Using mesquite, I'm outta everything else.
              Have a round roast I'm going to toss a round roast on about 1pm.
              Haven't decided on the beer yet....
              Nice work on your cook today, the bark on that butt looks amazing.

• AZ Fogey
              AZ Fogey commented
              Editing a comment
              smokin fool - Sounds like a fun day. I'm not much of a multi-tasker, and cooking two different meats at the same time is beyond my level of competence, at least for now. I'm hoping to get better.

I never trim much fat off and always smoke at 275. I have a DigiQ on my Weber so can maintain the temp, only have to add wood chunks and charcoal every so often. I use a mix of apple, hickory and oak.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

• AZ Fogey
                AZ Fogey commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! I believe that's Yoder with competition cart. Very nice.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                AZ Fogey it is a YS-640. I do love it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here