Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook LSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook LSG

Finally got the 10# butt dry brine over night and rubbed with Hank's Royal on at 11:00am using Kingsford Original briquets and hickory chunks shooting for 225°F. Took out the heat deflector and have water in the pan with a little apple cider vinegar mixed in.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LSG 1st 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	847310
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LSG 1st 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	847311
    At an hour in the temp is a 186°F and rising. Not sure but I guess taking the deflector out changes things a lot. 2 hours in and temp is 201°F with the valve â…” closed, which yesterday gave me 225°F -230°F, so I opened the valve to â…“ closed. Okay, at 3 hours it’s 229°F and closed valve again to ½ way with the meat at 135°F.

Hour 6 and it’s stalled at 169°F and will ride it out. Smoker running at about 235°F-240°F. Not spritzing because I’m thinking the water in the pan evaporating is enough. Daughter stopped by and said she could smell it out front and I’ve noticed some neighbors slow down as they walk by.

12 hours in butt at 200°F an probe tender. Taken out of the cabinet and rested 1 hour, no pictures until after I pulled it, sorry. Nice bark not real dark though. Plenty juicy with just water in the pan/
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0519.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	847313
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0521.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	847312
    Turned out juicy and delicious, more smoky than when cooked on my Yoder.
    Resisting using the Fireboard and fan but really tempted. Just my lazy nature.
    Now to bed finally.

Coolness....I take fan control and sleep any night or day, or nightish or dayish.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard Oh ya sleep is good! Just want to learn a little control first. Thanks

I hope someday I will be doing a write up like this !!!! 👍👍👍

Comment

Looks Great, Brother!
      Enjoy that well-deserved sleep!
      At least ya can have pulled pork fer breakfast!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Pulled pork omelettes?

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB Omelette sounds really good. Breakfast lunch or dinner.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Omelettes are right tasty! Nuthin wrong with pulled pork breakfast burritos, neither...
        Me, I could always slip some into my grits, or even oatmeal, as well...

Nice. I’d eat that any day.
      Seems like that cabinet with charcoal is a lot more stable than an offset with sticks. 👍

Comment

Great looking cook. When I run my cabinet (G2) with a water pan, I have never had to spritz. Plenty of moisture inside. Just monitor the surface of the meat to check for dryness and how bark is forming. Make sure you don't let your water pan run dry or your temp will quickly spike big time. Recommend a run with the heat deflector and the water pan to see the difference in temps from this one. Once you are comfortable that you know how to manage temp, you are ready for a situation where you might not have power. From then one, agree with Jerod and I would use the Fireboard and your fan.

Have not found that putting cider or apple juice in the water pan makes much difference. Bigger difference is putting a pan under the meat to catch drippings, and then mixing that juice back into the pulled meat.

The LSG looks like a winner.

Comment

Just had some warmed up with just salt and Plowboys Tarheel Tang on it. Excellent if I do say so myself!. Smoky & moist
        Omelette tonight!

Comment

Great job and write up. You hit the pork trifecta - smokey, juicy, delicious. Always fun playing with new equipment. Congrats.

Comment

Nice butt! Good to see you’re learning your new smoker. Good times!

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Henrik Used your KC Royal rub. Good stuff! thanks

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I saw that, great to hear (and see)!

ofelles Example of nice smoke you can get using the Fireboard and Viper fan combo. This is a low and slow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Char Logs Smoke.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.17 MB ID:	847669

Comment

Try increasing your temp to 250-275, with your water pan kept full, you won't notice any difference in the pork other than the shorter time it takes to cook it.

Comment

Awesome cook. Which LSG did you purchase?

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweaty Paul Let me get a few more cooks under my belt. At this point I am willing to say it closer than a pellet cooker. Thanks for the interest

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweaty Paul Not sure if this compares to the LSG but should be similar. I have a Chubby G2, used to own a Yoder 640. In my mind, a cabinet smoker is definitely more like an offset than a Pellet. A more distinct smoke taste where pellet is, as Meathead would say, more delicate or refined. A charcoal/chunk taste compared to the wood offset taste. Ease of use and capacity make it worth it to me. Closer to offset by burning stronger wood, more chunks, and using a Fireboard/fan to get clean smoke.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  By the way, I am envious of the size and design of ofelles LSG.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here