Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing special; just pulled pork ala Meathead's book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing special; just pulled pork ala Meathead's book

A few weeks back, one of our local grocery chains had a killer buy on pork butts. I bought 2 and had one sliced into pork steaks to do in the sous vide pot. The other was held until yesterday when I turned it into some melt in your mouth pulled pork. The first step was dry brine overnight wrapped in plastic wrap. Just a little salt and then an overnight chill. Here it is after removing it from the fridge.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010433.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	846551

I then unwrapped it, rinsed it off, patted it dry, spritzed it with plain H2O, and applied this brand new (to me) product on the outside.

Name:	P1010434.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	846549

This is what that looks like

Name:	P1010435.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	846548

Then into the pellet pooper at around 7 AM.

Name:	P1010436.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	846550

It hit the magic temp (203*F) at about 8:30 PM. I pulled it off the grill and took it inside for bone removal and pulling. Oh My!

Name:	P1010437.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	846547

The bone almost fell out on its own. The meat was moist and melted on its own in my mouth. I'm calling this a hit. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010438.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	846546

Had some today for lunch. Heated it up in the MW along with some Blue's Hog Original. So NOW, I know what heaven is really like. Thank you Lord, for porkers and smoked meat.

Looks just like every good one I’ve seen, and I’ll bet it tastes that way, too!

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Nice job.....looks awesome

Comment

Oh my. Yum, yum, yum.
          what was your cooker temp?

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            225 until meat IT hit 170 then went to 250. At 10 hours total cook time I bumped it to 275. Used a full smoke tube as well. Flavor with the extra smoke and the Heaven Made rub was excellent.

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thx. I am a pellet cooker too. I saw the smoke tube. Been thinking about getting one.

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh - get one for sure.

Very nicely done, looks like some delicious pork butt!
          I'm also very much a longtime advocate of usin a rack, an a pan...

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            I just NEED to remember to cover the dern thang with foil for easier cleanup of the pan. Rack is sprayed with Wally World pam and cleans up real easy. Not so much on the pan. Know what I mean Vern? 😁

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here