Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother’s Day Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother’s Day Bacon

My wife asked for Maple-Whiskey Bacon for Mother’s Day and who am I to say no to such a request. So, 2 weeks ago I bought a 12 pound pork belly (that’s a heckuva big belly). Let it sit in cryovac for 5 days and then started it curing last weekend. Cut into 3 lb slabs, each slab fits just right in a gallon ziplock bag.

Here’s the cure

3.5 grams Prague Powder #1
    3 tbsp kosher salt
    4 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
    3/4 cup distilled water
    1/2 cup dark maple syrup
    2 tbsp whiskey .... rye, bourbon, single malt

I mix the cure in each bag then add the pork belly, squeeze out all the air, and seal up. They take up a huge amount of room in the garage fridge, which makes things interesting with all the other meat and beer in there. Turn the bacon once a day and make sure to work the cure in to the meat well each time you turn. Let it cure for 6 days (can be anywhere from 4-7 with this particular cure and 3 lb slabs of belly).

Now on the WSM, which is running about 245 on the top grate and 225 on the bottom grate. 12 lbs is too much for just the top grate, so I’ve got them split between top and bottom grate. When the meat gets around 155, I’ll pull it and it’s good to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1128893-5363-4BDA-BB79-EB315E492C09.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	843577

Name:	5523A880-436A-413C-966D-0D6DC240DDED.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	843574

Name:	69CE3CEA-B405-4B97-B070-7EBC89AE6B6C.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	843575

Name:	DB60D28D-156D-4E4B-B273-474316C56E75.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	843576

1. You are a good husband,
    2. You had better make her something special after the last viral gift you gave her.🙂

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hah, very true. I also bought her a new fountain for the yard, which she doesn’t know about yet. And am going to make French toast on the Hasty-Bake tomorrow morning :-)

I thought the 9 pound ones at Costco were big.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I got this bad boy at Costco

I like your cooking only I cook a little lower, that should be some great eating. I'll bring my slicer for one of those.

Comment

Dang Eric. That’s gonna be some great eats.
      Way to keep the happy life. 😁
      Oh what kind of fountain did you get her?

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a 3 bucket fountain with a birdhouse on top

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a great gift.

Can I ask, you said 3 slabs, I see 4. The cure, is that the amount in each bag? I've never done bacon and am itching to try. Happy Mothers Day!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, it’s 4X 3lb slabs

What a nice breakfast for Mother's Day--French Toast and Maple Whisky Bacon. You're a good husband.

P.S. How sweet is it and can you taste the whisky?

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        the whisky gives it a subtle spicy flavor, kind of enhances the pepper. I think I could not add it and no one but me would notice. It's not super sweet. Mild maple syrup taste, just enough to contrast the pepper and smoke.

fzxdoc .... the French Toast

Name:	A32C23EB-BC96-4BC8-A324-0C43F2E0479F.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	844130

Name:	C3B87569-82C6-4661-8ED0-DC383EF6E291.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	844129

Name:	88BDACB5-8821-4E34-BBCF-618C670EAEBD.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	844128

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        My tummy's rumbling. Looks great!

K.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc that may be the best French Toast I've ever made and it was my first try. I'm super impressed with doing it on my grill grates!

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delicious

That bacon recipe is sooo good! Have a 12 pound belly thawing out now.

Comment

@ecowper Is the amount in your ingredients per gallon bag or for the whole slab divided into each bag? This sounds like a great recipe to try. And cutting the belly down to gallon bag size is smart! When I tried bacon before I tried the whole slab and it took too much space in fridge. Haha!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          The cure is for 3 lbs of pork belly in a 1 gallon ziplock.

• tamidw
          tamidw commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the clarification.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here