Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butterflied pork shoulder from ThermoWorks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflied pork shoulder from ThermoWorks

I found this technique on ThermoWorks blog pretty interesting. Meathead got a mention as well!
    https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/bu...79474370921992
    Last edited by Red Man; May 9, 2020, 11:47 AM.

Trying this soon. Grabbed some butts at Costco specifically for pulled pork and their complaints about it mirror mine so this will be fun to try.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I could say something about strange men doing strange things in public ... butt I won't.

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
    Trying this soon. Grabbed some butts at Costco specifically for pulled pork and their complaints about it mirror mine so this will be fun to try.
    Gosh this quote is so cute if intentionally read the wrong way.

Seriously, though, has anyone tried this ThermoWorks Pulled Pork recipe yet? If so, how long was the cook? Any bark at all on that final product?

Kathryn

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I had NO idea it could be read the wrong way... none at all... *innocentface*
      I have salmon for tonight but will be doing this tomorrow.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know how that pork cook goes. I'm very curious about it. Thanks for doing the work for us, rickgregory . And thanks for the giggle.

Kathryn

Definitely gonna give this a shot. Anyone think there is a higher chance of it drying out if I leave it unwrapped?

Comment

I've never butterflied one (not a bad idea) but I have started to cut large butts into smaller chunks, like 3 or 4 good size pieces, and smoke that way. Get's it done faster rand creates more bark. Butterflying would be the ultimate expression of that I suppose.

Comment

Need to remember this when it gets warm. I too want to know if it dries too much if left unwrapped.

Comment

Hey all...

I tried this a few days ago and and it's... fine.

The quick summary: It does give you more bark in proportion to the meat. It didn't feel that much faster but I smoked at 250 and the temp dropped for a bit (I was working), to 220 or so. It's a little drier in the sections where there was less fat but pulling and mixing helped that. I don't think the interior pork was any smokier, but again, more of the pork had bark.

Details: I bought two 7lb butts from Costco and divided them into 3.5lbs halves. On one, I took the half where the bone had been, which already has a flap, and butterflied that out. I dry brined overnight, put on a store-bought rub and then smoked on the Weber with SNS at 250F. Wood was apple. Hickory etc might give a smokier profile but I had none. Temp was mostly 250 and the butt hit a stall at about 140. I wrapped in foil as it sat there for a couple of hours.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this technique and I think it's an easy way to get more bark. I was surprised that, at 250, it took as long as it did. The foil wrap made it get through the stall quicker but I need to get some butcher paper.

Verdict - if you find yourself thinking "Man, that's great bark, wish there was more of it" this technique will definitely help with that. Aside from that, I didnt find the flavor to be significantly different from doing it the regular way... there was just more surface area with the results you'd expect from that.

Only one pic, mid-cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0373.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	848514
          Last edited by rickgregory; May 19, 2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for taking one for the team, good writeup

This is similar to the blasphemy pulled pork technique that mgaretz proposed recently here and on his on website https://blasphemyribs.com - just butterflying a boneless butt instead of buying country ribs as the starting point.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I'd not thought of that, but it is.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here