Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubbing a netted boneless pork shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubbing a netted boneless pork shoulder

I've made pulled pork with great success numerous times. More often I get a 10-14 Lb pack from Costco or a local farm. I tie it, wrap and do the smoke. This time, with a scarcity of meat selection I got a couple of 5-6 Lb packs of Hatfield pork at a supermarket. This was netted and, without thinking I cut the net, tied and proceeded. So then, I have two questions. First, has any of you just rubbed a chunk of boneless pork and smoked it without tying ? And after tying and rubbing my current batch I wondered what if I had simply left the netting on. Rubbing it would have gotten rub under the netting and during smoke the netting would shift and position and smoke would get on all parts of the meat. So what about taking a misshaped mass of meat and rubbing and smoking without tying and/or rubbing with the net on.
    Thank You.

I normally do not tie pork shoulder. Dry rub, smoke. Always happy with the results. Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork1.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	843432
    Attached Files

Comment

+1 I also do not normally tie pork shoulder, especially bone in ones.

Comment

And today, as if they knew you were asking, the folks at Thermoworks posted up an article regarding butterflying a shoulder; https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/bu...82597571053064

Comment

I haven't done it, but I would think that the biggest problem with keeping the netting on would be getting it loose when pulling. A few strings is far easier.

Comment

No truss, no fuss club here.

Comment

I have done a boneless leg of lamb with the netting left on. It cooked just fine, spices well and evenly distributed, etc. But JCGrill above is spit on in that the netting was murder to get off after the cook. Now I remove it and re-tie it.

Comment

I’ve wondered if spreading out a boneless shoulder on the grate might speed up cooking and contribute more area for seasoning and bark. I’ve seen it done but not tried it.

Comment

I wouldn’t leave the net on. The bark might get destroyed removing it. No need to tie a bone in butt. I like to tie boneless butts.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. Unfortunately I can confirm first hand this will happen.

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree as well. If hanging in my PBC a boneless I will tie.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here