Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Cushion On Sale $1.15/lb @ Cash & Carry/Smart & Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Cushion On Sale $1.15/lb @ Cash & Carry/Smart & Final

At least it is in the Portland metro area. I grabbed one of these by mistake a few months ago, little ugly to rub, but came out great.

A little more in Boise... 1.19/lb @Cash & Carry... not a bad little hunk of meat to smoke up, I have done several of them.

Comment

First time I managed to be able to get to the pulled pork stage was on one of them. Usually I don't give myself enough time and end up with Chopped pork instead. For the price, can't beat it.

Comment

Same price by me in WA as well, Super Cheap! I am tempted to get some and give it a try. I have never tried cushion. How does this compare taste & texture-wise to your typical shoulder/butt? Leaner or more fatty?

Comment

I thought it came out pretty good. At least the one I had was ugly as heck, but it cooked up well, and the ugliness actually = more bark, and may have contributed it it cooking faster. Little higher surface to mass ratio.

Comment

Wait...what are these?

Comment

Google search and subsequent link gave me this:
              The "cushion" comes from the Pork Shoulder Picnic (or Arm), The picnic shoulder is more economical than the Boston Butt, but also contains more fat than the blade shoulder. When the bone and fat is trimmed from this
              cut it results in a very rich flavored roast. The meat from this cut is excellent for making juicy barbecued pulled pork. The Picnic has a large bone and joint that runs through the middle of the roast, one side has a
              large lean muscle...that is the "cushion". You can also slice and pound them for pork cutlets, stew meat, etc and use them in any chicken recipe.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Think I will give it a try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here