Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon recipe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon recipe question

Those of you who make bacon, got a question. I find that the recipes with sugar in them result in a lot of very dark, sometimes charred, bacon when I fry it up. Obviously because the sugars are burning. I usually don't get it so burned that it tastes off, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas? Or is it one of those things where you either accept it or don't make bacon with sugar?

You need to cook it on a very low temperature so it cooks before the sugar burns 🙂

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Low? How low? See below.

• DreamOn
      DreamOn commented
      Editing a comment
      How low? Stovetop the knob that says low 🙂.
      This works for small amounts like 2 of us. For a crowd oven bake at 350

I cut the sugar in half

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Wowzers! I bet that takes a really sharp knife and microscope-like vision.

Cook in the oven.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never done this. I just like cooking it in a pan, plus we're at the time of year where I really don't want to heat up my house with an oven. But, I may give it a go this fall.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Ime, once ya do oven bacon, an realize there's no more spatter, burns, etc., ya'll never wanna do it in a skillet, again...

• scottdware
      scottdware commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Mr.Bones - bacon in the oven is great, less mess!

Are you wet or dry curing? If the latter, are you washing the cure off thoroughly? How do you cook the bacon (pan, high heats, what?)

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Wet. Washing, yes. Cast iron, no more than medium heat.

I cure with maple sugar and don't have this problem. Are your rinsing the belly off before smoking after taking it out of the brine, dry or wet. Then letting it set a pellicle, that is a tacky surface so the smoke will adhere better and the belly is cold. As far as temp smoke at 210-225 and smoke to interior temp of 156.

What recipe are you using, you might want to check it against Meathead recipes in the free section.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 2, 2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using those recipes.

Sounds like you like super crispy bacon...I have found that the cures I’ve been using doesn’t lend itself to super crispy bacon. But then again I haven’t been curing bacon very long and I’m sure someone will chime in with information.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not. But I do want to render out some of the fat,otherwise why bother cooking it at all? It's already been cooked once.

My general attitude on how long to cook bacon is that it should not be limp coming out of the pan, but I should be able to bend it without it breaking. Frying a pound of it usually takes 20 minutes give or take, since I want to render out some fat. That means that I can't use high heat.

I typically have not bothered with the pellicle, but I do generally follow the rest of the process on the free side. I've used those recipes as well as others. Anything with sugar has this problem. Actually, even bacon from my butcher that has sugar in it has this problem.

Maybe I should try the oven...

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      The oven really is the way to go for home made bacon. Evenly cooked and no burning. I put heavy duty aluminum foil over the sheet pan so I don’t have any clean up. I flip the bacon about 3/4 of the way through.

Boil it (he sez running and ducking...)

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha. I once did that when I was in college.

Lower frying temps.

Comment

I usually cook my bacon on a rack on a cookie sheet in the oven and don’t really have that problem doing it that way. That said, my favorite bacon recipe is my Maple-Whiskey recipe, which doesn’t tend to have that problem. :-)

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill I set the oven to 400 degrees. It takes about 30 minutes with the slices on foil covering an aluminum sheet pan. Oven temp doesn’t seem too critical to me. Lower temps will probably render out a bit more fat.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a wire rack, layer of foil at the bottom of the cookie sheet .... works great, clean up is easy peasy

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, ecowper I cook my oven bacon at around ~275°...foiled pan, rack to elevate, fire up th oven, slide it in, gives me time to perform my mornin ablutions, without settin off no smoke alarms.
        When I return, it's gittin close to egg time.

Cookin it much hotter makes jus as much splatter as stovetop, only now ya gotta kneel down, scrub out th oven,,, ...kinda misses th whole danged point
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 3, 2020, 06:56 PM.

I’m with you JCGrill , I have a similar issue. I do not have a good solution for you sadly as I just fry it up and keep a close eye on it. The sugar absolutely causes the same "burnt" portions, but I usually use lower heat and more careful monitoring. I’ve yet to throw even a slice out though. Best of luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here