Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINISHED: Pork butts and St Louis ribs on the offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NiCE

Comment

Woo hoo, My first badge!

Comment

More bark!!!! THATS WHAT IM SCREAMING. Ill have to try that next time i do some butt. I usually get ones that are 7 -9 lb average. Any specail way you cut them?

Comment

Sorry for the delay fmjr, no special way, I just try to cut them into 3 or so lb pieces. You cannot beat the seasoning of the finished product when you cut them into smaller hunks. Trust me, all round it's worth it both while cooking and in the end. Unless you need to see a large 9lb clod on your smoker, smaller is better!

Comment

Didn't get pics of the lunch party, but rave reviews from all. I must say, not sure what I did or if it was just a good place ot buy pork, but both the ribs and the PP were the best I've done if I do say so.

Here's leftovers I'm currently eating while at work. All that's left of roughly 10lbs give or take:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5227.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	9240

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Mental note: Bring floss next time I eat pulled pork at work.

My method this time was a little different than I have tried before. It was for a lunch, so I didn't have time to do it the morning of, and I didn't want to do it through the night. So I started about 1pm. We ate lunch the next day at 12:30, so my meat was on heat nearly 24hrs. (I've done this with brisket before with excellent results).

After they'd smoked for roughly 7 hrs, the meat was in the 175 range, I placed them in our large crock pot on high until the meat hit 203. Then I turned it to "warm", which is the setting under low, the lowest setting. All night one butt sat at 178 and the other at 185. I had my Maverick set at low alarm of 155, but it never got that low. I was a little nervous since I'd never had them on constant heat before, sealed up in a humid crock pot, unwrapped, ALL night long. But, in the morning around 9am I pulled them and the butts that were on the top layer were somewhat dry, but still very pullable, but the jus in the bottom made the bottom butts VERY moist. There was only one glob of fat I had to fish out, so I think that long time in the sealed crock pot melted 90% of the fat. I stirred the pulled product into all the jus and it was simply amazing. Didn't need to add anymore rub or any liquid, the surface area from the smaller butts made it come out perfectly seasoned and perfectly smoked.

Crock pots work if you manage temps properly with trusty digital therms. I had lots of bark too, and it was great!

Comment

Can't argue with the results.

Comment

Huskee - did you originate the crock pot technique? That is a great idea whoever thought of it. And your explanation of using the dripping at the bottom of the crock pot was valuable information. I can only imagine that you had some bodacious good pulled pork esp. taken into consideration the extra bark technique as well.

Thank you for your efforts to keep us informed. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then you will be greatly flattered soon. That is some "Connoisseur Q"

Comment

You did a wonderful job with the Photos Huskee.
                  I'm a retired Pro photographer and it seems as though I can't remember to document the steps of the cook, the BBQ is over then it's "Oh I should have taken some shots" I guess I'll have to hire a photog. :+)

Comment

Those look great! #MoreBarkMoreBarkMoreBark

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Watson View Post
                      Huskee - did you originate the crock pot technique? That is a great idea whoever thought of it. And your explanation of using the dripping at the bottom of the crock pot was valuable information. I can only imagine that you had some bodacious good pulled pork esp. taken into consideration the extra bark technique as well.

Thank you for your efforts to keep us informed. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then you will be greatly flattered soon. That is some "Connoisseur Q"
                      No I'm quite sure I didn't originate it, but to be honest I haven't really read or heard of anyone doing it that way, so I was hesitant. It worked out well, I wasn't sure if it would. I still hesitate to recommend it in case it doesn't work for others, but I'm happy I ended up with great results. The small butts=more surface area=more bark turned out to be the best way I've done butts yet!

Thank you for the nice words!

Comment

• boftx
                        boftx commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm willing to bet that the total amount of bark that was consumed by everyone else was *still* less than what would be on a full size butt.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm not sure I follow. take a 9lb butt, cover it in rub. Now cut it in half, there are now two more sides that need rub and will be barked up. Now cut those in half again, there are now 4 more sides that need rub and will be barked up.

Originally posted by A Fid View Post
                      You did a wonderful job with the Photos Huskee.
                      I'm a retired Pro photographer and it seems as though I can't remember to document the steps of the cook, the BBQ is over then it's "Oh I should have taken some shots" I guess I'll have to hire a photog. :+)
                      That's the hardest thing, especially when I'm trimming and I have to stop and wash up and snap a pic or two, then get back in, repeat. I get impatient with that, and I never get enough pics. I always think I'm getting several and then when I load them I go "that's all I took?". Thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here