Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINISHED: Pork butts and St Louis ribs on the offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINISHED: Pork butts and St Louis ribs on the offset

Today I'm doing about 10lbs of pork butts and 2 nice sized racks of St Louis cut from spares by moi. The spares were on sale @ $1.99/lb, couldn't pass it up especially since there was plenty of room on the smoker.

Here's a couple crude progress pics. I had to rush so didn't have time to keep washing my hands and snapping pics.

Descriptions are below each pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5188.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	8393 Here's a couple of the butts before trimming. I trim all excess fat within reason. If you don't trim it before, then you have to pick the gobs out later or get a mouthful on your sandwich, so i do much of it during prep.

Name:	IMAG5189.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	8394
    Here's one trimmed and coated in my Huskee's Rib Rub

Name:	IMAG5194.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	8395 Here's everything on the smoker. Butts on warmer side, ribs on cooler side. The darkness on the STL ribs is the brown sugar I put on right before placing in smoker. It makes a glaze and I prefer my ribs to have that sweet & salty zing. 2 Maverick ET 732s running- one (2 probes) monitoring cooker temps at warmer & cooler sides, one monitoring 2 of the butts. Others will get a spot-read when necessary with the ThermoPop.

Name:	IMAG5192.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	8396 Cooked with some charcoal, mostly apple logs. C-shape, snake, or fuse, to allow for lengthier burn. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5191.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	8397

BBQ Dragon to keep things going a little better since there's little wind today.

Name:	IMAG5200.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	8416

About 3 hrs in... one probed butt has stalled at 153, and the other at 160.....cooker temp avg 221 right now. Hot side reading 235. Water pan half empty- refilled with hot tap water microwaved to really hot.

I often find my "cooler" side (chimney side) runs hotter than the hot side when I have the chimney cap open full. Especially running the BBQ Dragon, the extra flow just moves the heat through it away from the water pan buffer. I control the chimney side's temp with the chimney damper as expected, closing it only 1/3 (2/3 open) really drops the chimney side temp down.

Name:	IMAG5201.jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	8440

5 hrs in, bend test allllmost passed. (See below)

Name:	IMAG5202.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	8441

Almost looks like the bend test passed, doesn't it?... but it took about 5 sec for this to happen. It's getting another half hour. This here is at the 5 hr mark, avg temp 235

Name:	IMAG5206.jpg
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	8483
    Macro meat beauty! (Might I add these are dry rub, the only glaze is the brown sugar that melted hours ago, no sauce!)

Name:	IMAG5211.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	8484

I was very impressed...

Name:	IMAG5212.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	8485
    Homemade mac 'n cheese, cottage cheese and fresh sweet corn......

Name:	IMAG5220.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	8486
    These were by far the best St Louis I've ever had/made. I'm generally not a fan since they've seemed to be thin and dry before. These were thick, voluptuous, and so juicy it was crazy! If ALL STLs were like this I would be a believer.

Clean tug, perfect bark, killer sming. Maybe it would've been an award winner. It was with the family and that's what matters.

Name:	IMAG5222.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	8487
    Let's not forget the pork butts. Oozin' & Juicin' & lookin' mighty fine.

Name:	IMAG5224.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	8488
    I like pig butts and I cannot lie. Here they are just before resting.

'Twas a good day between the Yoder & I. Bffs.

The End!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Huskee; August 11, 2014, 09:50 PM.

Sweet, and not just the brown sugar.

Putting chicken to brine today for tomorrow and a pork picnic for an all night cook tomorrow night.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Every time I have a perfectly smoked juicy chicken I think it migth be my favorite. Then I remember how I think that no matter what I'm eating.

Those ribs look like I'm hungry.

Headed to Sam's tonight for a couple of butts to cook up Sunday. Will post pics in a different thread. Keep those updates coming!

Jim

Comment

You're looking good Huskee!! Great pics and commentary. You keep that up and you'll be a moderator before you know it!!

Barry

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        'Tis my dream Barry! lol

Gotta love a stick burner! Lookin' good.

Comment

Originally posted by boftx View Post
        Gotta love a stick burner! Lookin' good.
        Thanks! Wood is good!

Comment

I did enjoy my wood cooks....until I got a Pit Barrel....at least we had a good campfire on the last camp out.

I used to make a sick smoke ring on ribs...the kind you don't want to turn in at a competition, or so I hear.

Comment

looking good, makes me want to slide west on my drive to the north crib tonight just sayin

Comment

Our family ate ONE rack of St Louis, 5 of us (3 little ones) we had sides too. But there's still a whole rack now in the fridge. I will explain my very positive impression with these ribs above with updated pics....

Comment

Gonna try Huskees rib rub on my next rib cook.

Comment

Tally remember my rub contains salt. You can do the no salt version if you like, and 'go Blonder on them' as Jerod would say (dry brine). I add a decent crumble of brown sugar when placing on smoker, omit if it doesn't appeal to you.

And please, be compeltely honest if you like it or not. My wife prefers it to MD, we share the preference for less herbal.

Comment

Yeah I like going Blonder myself. Thanks for the heads-up. Sure don't want to double salt. I will let you know how it turns out. Just looking at the seasoning line-up in it and can't see it tasting bad. Sure made a great looking bark on your cook.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! IMO they need a dash of salt on the surface or they may be too sweet when going Blonder. I've done the no salt and that's what I found.
                      Great on chicken too!

• Tally
                      Tally commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In that case I will follow your style to the T

WOW... both the ribs and buttt look great. One question , why did you split some of the butts and not all of them. Im just curiuos.

Comment

Originally posted by fmjr0510 View Post
                      WOW... both the ribs and buttt look great. One question , why did you split some of the butts and not all of them. Im just curiuos.
                      They came from the market like they are, so I actually didn't cut any. . Usually i will cut them to 3lb chunks or so and not much larger, to get more bark, more smoke penetration and quicker cook times.

Comment

""" to get more bark,"""

whoa, whoa, you just wrote that?

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          lol, I guess I did.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here