Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tale of 2 pork shoulders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tale of 2 pork shoulders

My buddy said he had a pork shoulder that he wanted me to smoke next time I did one. Mine is bone-in and over 10 pounds. His is boneless and 4.5 pounds. The plan for mine was low and slow overnight. I guess I'll just throw the little guy on in the morning.

Yeah, that little guy isn't going to need anywhere near the time yours will .... I think hearing about the cook and how they cook will be interesting, though

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my first mismatched pork shoulder cook. So, it will be a learning experience for me. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Remember thickness of meat determines cook time and not weight. How comparable are they in thickness?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good point LA Pork Butt !

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I don’t usually buy those small ones, but when I have they are boneless and tied up making them maybe an inch less in thickness than a 10#er which Inusually cook. I don’t know when he plans to serve, but if it is after 5pm I think it will work putting yours on the night before followed by his early in the morning, and if you need to you can wrap.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the plan, LA Pork Butt !

Maybe remove the bone from yours and cut in half. That way they'll cook closer to the same time. Unless of course your're taking the science project approach for the fun of it.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely won't be deboning the bigger one. So let the experiment commence.

Based upon th weights ya gave, up top, an fully graspin th thickness thing, if I was faced with th same scenario, reckon I'd do jus what ya done said... if it turns th wrong direction, I have great faith ya can make it all work...

I'm fer leavin th bone in. as well, but currently lookin on cuttin a pb half in two, to obtain more bark... don't reckon I'd try both variables, same cook, but I've done crazier shite than that, mostly worked out good!

Have a Great Cook, lookin forward to seein how it all goes, Brother!

Comment

First one is on at 9:30 pm. Green Mango rub @ 225. I sure wish I could mute that Maverick satellite unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_210934.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	839202

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Blue painter's tape over th wee lil soundholes works a treat, an leaves minimal, if any residue... If that don't help, roll it up, nice an snug, in a clean tubesock.
        Green Mango rub sounds wonderful, enjoy yer cook, Brother!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 29, 2020, 08:19 AM.

Turns out the little guy was bone-in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rpje1yUQVXdjPBPubsYg9WnR-U9gz-XD74dIXTwH3eY389CdYyj4XPN-lYZUAx7jqXT5o7yOzV6j7kK08RGkIiGqTtQU1C16dxMAEp_O-3PA_TnkIi4kxmOEQrK2Zcvf6uexOVZObZWjA3gw8LbwOmNf8DrkoMw3nmx5m7oXAteV_e9zxBhiYG1579jItzYqOutpgyo5uVi1mvEfo8IMr8vRHGFho_9GaxbycXK_1KWkYqFFmZo5XjNTe5PdXSH
Views:	307
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	839393

Comment

That little one looks about as thick as the big one.... I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take almost as long! I've cooked them from 7 to 10 pounds in the same cook, and the 3 pounds difference from smallest to largest did not make much difference in when I pulled them off the smoker. You can always bump the cook temp up to 275 to get that little one done by 5pm...

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris Yeah, I definitely was expecting a tied up hunk of meat, not this solid little one. But the bone runs right down the center so the meat is not as thick as you might expect.

The big guy went on @ 9:30 pm current temp is 167f.
          The little guy went on at 7:30 am current temp is 149f.

I figure dinner will be on time for both households.
          Last edited by Attjack; April 29, 2020, 12:32 PM.

So here I am 19 hours in on the 10+ pounder and it's at 201f.
        Meanwhile, it's been 8 hours for the 4.5 pounder and it's at 191f.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here