Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Style Ribs in the Great Northwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome write up!
    I'm just down the road here in Tacoma and getting ready to put the ribs on in the morning and wanted to try dry brining as well but wasn't sure about when to before rub and how long before. I use meatheads Memphis Dust as well and was going to dial down the salt a bit on it.
    Do you think that's necessary, or just go with recipe as is?
    Love the pics, and the copy really lays out the timing and sequence!

I do like them juiced up abit in the end though!
    thanks again!
    -bill

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm confused about your question regarding dialing down the salt a bit for the Memphis Dust recipe. Meathead is a huge proponent of dry brining and as such, there is no salt in the Memphis Dust recipe.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      There’s no salt in Meathead’s rub .... but he does dry brine, like I do. As to when to put the rub on: When your cooker is up to temp and ready for the ribs, pull the ribs from the fridge, wet them with a bit of water, and then put the rub on. Then straight to the cooker.

I am doing some this weekend. I usually don't sauce, but I think I am going to glaze them at the end with some of this this time:

Say so long to bottled BBQ sauce and hello to amped up homemade Kansas City-style sauce with this step-by-step recipe. Thick and sweet, Kansas City barbecue sauce has been a crowd favorite since the introduction of KC Masterpiece in the 70s. Our delicious recipe features multiple layers of flavors, sweets, and heats.

I made some of this awhile back and my better half who is not a sauce fan at all really liked it and requested it.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that sauce is pretty good. I used it as the basis for my spicy bbq sauce. Serve it on the side for peeps that want it :-)

ecowper Great write up, and I am so glad to see you active on here again. I was worried for a long time that something happened to you. The only thing I would note is that I tend to find the back ribs from Costco or Sam's take a bit more than 4 hours to get done, due to all the extra loin meat on them.

Something I never heard was how your cousin (?) ended up after getting run out of their home by the fire in Paradise? At least I think it was your cousin. Maybe I've been drinking too much on the job...

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I buy the smallest package of Costco ribs that I can and end up about 4 hours and maybe change. My cousin and his family are settled in Oroville, CA now, about 40 minutes from Paradise. His contracting business is booming even during the epidemic lockdown. Thanks for asking!

That is truly one of the best write ups I have seen. Which is only to be expected from you. And I've never liked sauce on my ribs, either . Thanks for taking the time to document this!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh geez, I’m blushing .... I hope it helps

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here