Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin

Although a almost 5 year member this is my first post and whoever said " you can’t teach and old dog new tricks" had me in mind! My first post was a mistake, hope this one is better. Since finding Amazing Ribs my grilling and smoking has given me some fantastic cooks. I struggle mightily with pork loin, I know it’s a tougher cut, but would surely welcome any suggestions on how to make pork loin more tender.

Pork loin is lean. I cook it to 140 IT and it comes out great, really juicy.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said👍 Don’t over cook it and you’ll love it! I prefer to season mine fairly liberally with a sweeter rub.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +2
      Don't overcook pork loin, I start off with a sear and roast on the smoker to 130-140.

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      I cook pork loin to 130 IT then sear it. Always tender and juicy.

I either chop it out, grind it, or make a big roulade out of it. There is also Canadian bacon.

Comment

Low and slow to 140 IT. As we all know, everything is better with bacon. So lay a few slices over the top or wrap the whole thing with it!

Comment

We love pork loin and cook it a lot. Preferences are to dry brine, then apply your rub and either reverse sear on the grill or smoker, low and slow up to 135 F, then sear over high heat, or sous vide at 137 F for 3 hours, then sear on the grill.

Comment

I just cooked one. I decided to stuff it with spinach, cheese, and olives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_164748.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	838040

Name:	20200425_165340.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	838039

Name:	20200425_174555.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	838042

Name:	20200425_181942.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	838041

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Some kind of roulade like this is how it ends up 90% of the time at my house.

Welcome to the posting side of The Pit.

Comment

We either cut a big Costco loin up into slices for loin chops and / or roasts, Like said above, a lean meat. Not made for low n slow.

Comment

I got a big Costco pork loin a few weeks back and cooked half of it on Easter. I dry brined it over night, gave it a rub with some pretty standard bbq rub, and then smoked it until it his 140 internal temperature. I think I cooked it at around 300 degrees??? Then I glazed it with some apple cider syrup, let it rest for a few minutes, sliced it, and served it.

Don't go past 145 or 150 at most. Keep it below there and it should be at least somewhat moist and juicy.

I took the other half and used Michael Ruhlman's Canadian Bacon cure and made some Canadian bacon. Next time I would leave out the garlic but other than that it was excellent.

Comment

We love pork loins. As everyone says do not overcook and you will have a great piece of meat. We love to stuff ours as well and you can try just about anything you want to experiment for the stuffings. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Comment

Cooked one a couple weeks ago, I injected it with a pork injection, rub was a slightly spicy one turned out fantastic. And agree with others cook to 140, It will be more juicy inside, I cooked it at 275 degrees. Don't know how to make them more tender that that. You did fine on your post.

Comment

I also cook to 135-140, Then tent and let rest for 15 minutes for the heat to equalize.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here