Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing individual pork belly slices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing individual pork belly slices

Hello fellow pitmasters! I hope all of you, your families are staying safe and healthy during these crazy times.

So, I have some pork belly (whole) I picked up from Costco, and currently have it curing for the next week. My sister-in-law reached out to me and said that they have some and would like me to cure/smoke it for them, to which I said no problem!

However, when my wife dropped off the belly, it was the pre-sliced pork belly from Costco, not the whole, uncut belly. My question is - should I even attempt to cure it like I have mine currently doing (using the Prague powder, other spices, etc.)? My first answer was no, as it probably wouldn't turn out all that great.

Can I just season it, let it marinade for a little bit, then smoke it low until it gets to around 150...or just marinade it for them, and give it back to them to cook up how they like (stove or oven)?

Figured I'd ask the experts here Thanks in advance!

If they are like the Costco pork belly slices I had purchased a few months ago, the slices were pretty thick. At least 1 - 1 1/2 inches. I used Dr. Blonders cure calculator ( https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely) and cured them based on weight and thickness. After the cure, I smoked them - it took less time of course.
    Came out fine. I was able to slice each "chunk" down to more normal slices.
    They were very meaty and very tasty ;-)

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you adjust Kosher salt for the cure?

I have cured them without issues.

Comment

I would stack them together, tie them so the looked like an uncut belly and cure them (and smoke them) as you would a solid, uncut belly.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Bet it would work even better if you skewered them then tied them.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! rickgregory - that is a fantastic idea, I think I'll try that!

JGrana Unfortunately, they are not the thick sliced ones, these are about 1/4 to 1/5 inch thick.

Comment

scottdware Let us know how it turns out. I have passed on those pre-sliced pork belly at Costco a few times thinking it would be difficult to cure.

Comment

• scottdware
          scottdware commented
          Editing a comment
          I for sure will!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here