Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut of pork at Costco I haven't seen before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut of pork at Costco I haven't seen before

I was at Costco today, and while zipping by the meat coolers, I saw some packages of a cut I haven't seen before; St. Louis Spare Rib Portions. I'm certainly not the most learned person with stuff like this, but I'm pretty familiar with the meat area at my local Costco stores. This was certainly new to me. Is it just regular spareribs??

Spoiler alert: I didn't buy it. My cart was full by that point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200417_161048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	833829
    Last edited by crazytown3; April 17, 2020, 10:57 PM.

It sounds like St Louis cut ribs, only cut in portions, i.e. sliced between each bone.

it looks like they’re quite meaty, in that case they could be country style ribs, squared up and sliced.

Comment

Thanks Henrik, I thought they looked something like country style ribs. Maybe that's exactly what they are.

Comment

That looks like country ribs to me ... I’ve seen a lot of odd stuff in the last few weeks. I think that all sorts of things that nobody normally knows how to sell is suddenly getting out to the floor to sell because of our current epidemic situation

Comment

True that. Some interesting, and good, things out there right now among all the crazy stuff.

Comment

Looks like pork to me. In would’ve bought it.
          herd to tell without seeing the underside. Looks good though.

Comment

The more I look at them the more they look like country ribs cut from the Boston Butt. They should cook well low and slow like ribs.
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 22, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

$2.99/lb though. Yikes! 😳

Comment

Supply chain on pork may get dicey given processing plants shutting down due to the CHINA syndrome (because it started...in well...CHINA)

Cant speak to what I see without closer examination but when I see words like "portion" I typically steer clear. It speaks of cut ends, bone and fat left over from the cuttings. But hey what do I know?

Comment

• Razor
                  Razor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good catch!

Could they be riblets?

Comment

The word portions at the end is kind of scary.

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
                    The word portions at the end is kind of scary.
                    Ya, that's what gave me some hesitation. That and my little freezer is jam packed full right now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here