Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying my first SVQ pulled pork this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying my first SVQ pulled pork this weekend

Here's what I was going to do. Appreciate any advice on modifications/improvements.

Have a 3lb pork shoulder that I've been dry brining since Tuesday night. Tonight will put in the bath at 158 for 24 hours. Friday night will shock the pork. Saturday morning will fire up the WSM with lump and add cherry, peach, and apple wood. Add the rub, then cook at 225 degrees until the IT is in the 150s. Pull, shred, and enjoy. Questions I already have:

1. Will I have to hold the pork in faux cambro before pulling, or is it ready to go right out of the smoker?

2. What if I don't have good bark by 158? Should I pull it regardless so I don't go above the sous vide temp?

3. About how long should I expect the pork to be on the smoker?

What else am I missing? Thank you everyone for all the advice and knowledge!

Dry brine with salt over night
    Apply rub
    Cook 2 hours at 225 flash cool or
    SV at 135 for 48 hours
    Chill, scrape purge and save, Apply rub, cook at 350 to internal temp 195-205 fork tender.
    Boil purge, run thru filter, add back to pulled pork

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

No cambro required. It is actually pullable after the SV step.

You will risk dryness the further you go over SV temp. I would not take it to "traditional" temp. SV has done all the work leaving you with a tender, moist product. You're just smoking it to add flavor at this point, not tenderness.

I just did one, see this link. Took 2-3 hours for bark at ~300F PBC temp, and it came off at ~150 IT:
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...29150-svq-butt.

Here's what has worked for me:
    1. SV @ 158x24, no salt.
    2. Shock in ice water bath to ~38F or less.
    3. Remove from bag, pat dry and apply rub liberally. Save purge.
    4. Smoke until bark forms (might not be as dark as normal), but don't go too far past SV temp.
    5. Pork purge does not coagulate the same as beef purge, no need boil and clarify, maybe just heat it up a little. Put the amount you want straight back in the final product.
    6. I like a thin vinegar pepper sauce or a little South Carolina mustard based sauce.

Good luck, update us with pics and notes!

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a question about point #3. I always pat dry my SV steaks before I finish them on the gasser to prevent "steaming" instead of grilling. With respect to the pork butt wouldn't having some water or other binder help with the rub process keeping in mind that cold/wet seems to assist with the smoke profile? Thanks,

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      rodkeary not meaning "bone dry", rub's gotta stick, but in general, drier surface creates bark faster, and in this method we don't have as much time to create bark before the IT reaches the SV temp, which you don't want to exceed.

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it.

Thanks,

BourBonQ Thanks! Pork is in the bath as we speak. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here