Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

charcoal reload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charcoal reload

So I'm doing an over night cook and this morning I ran low on charcoal... the temp dropped. I had to set the pork butts on a table outside while I pulled out the basket, added more coal and wait for it to catch fire. I'm using a UDS. By the time I put the basket back in, the racks and lid back on mostly 10 minutes had passed. The meat was at 178 and now is at 158. My goal was to take it to 203 but now I'm wondering if that's wise or not. Suggestions anyone? Does it matter if I continue to bring it up to 203 or should I pull it earlier? Will it be dry?

You'll be alright, let it cook.
    Next time wrap it in foil and kitchen towel while you refuel.

Comment

I thought it would be ok .. Thanks Ernest!

Comment

You're fine, as others mentioned wrap em, or if you have a place to do it start your coals in a chimney then pull out the meat just long enough to dump in the coals.

Comment

even at 150, delicious things are happening inside the meat. I would be surprised if you came out any worse for wear. Keep us posted!

Comment

_John_, I realized now that it would have been better to even just tent the meat still on the rack on the table than leave them to the open air .. but oh well, I didn't think of that. CurlingDog 2 hrs after my initial post they all hit 203, well 7 of them did. The last 3 took another 20 minutes. They've cooled, been wrapped and chillin out in the fridge. Going to put on the last 4 tonight for pulled pork tomorrow afternoon. We sampled and your right, they turned out awesome with Huskee Rib Rub and mustard! My fave :-)
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here