Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crock Pot Pork Butt Ideas?- Please Don't Shoot Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crock Pot Pork Butt Ideas?- Please Don't Shoot Me

Let me start by apologizing in advance, but circumstances dictate that I have to do a pork butt in a crock pot this weekend rather than on the Pit Barrel Cooker. So, rather than wallow in misery, I wanted to reach out and get some ideas from the Pitmaster Crew. I have read about using the chicken broth, apple juice, cider vinegar etc as a braising liquid in the crock pot and using your favorite rub on the pork and figured some of you would have some other tricks to make this as decent as possible.

Thanks in advance. I don't want to make a habit out of this, but it will still beat ham sandwiches. At least I hope so. Have a great weekend and stay healthy!

I would put my favorite on it and drop it in the crockpot on low expecting it to cook 8-10 hours. I don’t think you need to add any liquid, since the butt will produce plenty as it cooks.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. You can put liquid in there, but you don't need to.

I'd use this as inspiration - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...rk-recipe.html

Comment

Lots of good recipes out there, you can add a little liquid smoke to it to get a little pit flavor.

Comment

One time a few years ago I was in a pinch too..We were having a party on a Friday night and there just wasn't a way to get it on the smoker. So in the crock pot it had to go. I added some onions, garlic and a little beer. When I got home from work I put the liquid in a pot, added some Sweet Baby Rays and some other things to the pot. Reduce some and it made a wonderful sauce. It actually was a real hit.

Comment

I do an instant pot pulled pork which should work in your crock pot except of course the times will be different. My secret when doing large batches of pulled pork is to do several in the smoker and one in the pressure cooker and then pull together. Makes for a great sandwich.
          Rub
          1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
          1 t Red pepper flakes
          2 t oregano
          1 t white pepper
          1 t garlic powder
          1 t cumin
          1/8 t coriander
          1/8 t cayenne or chipotle pepper powder
          3/4 cup onion powder or 1 finely chopped large onion

Dry brine first then add rub and let it sit overnight. Place in pot and add water or chicken stock to almost cover and let it cook away. Once done I strain out the meat and pull with the other shoulders.

Comment

When we do crock pot pork butt, dry rub the butt as usual, add a can of root beer, half a bottle of BBQ sauce and a couple more tablespoons of dry rub on top for good measure and let her rip for 6-8 hours.

Comment

I haven’t tried it, but Jess Pryles wouldn’t let you down. She has a slow cooker pulled pork recipe here.
              Whether you want to use an oven, stove, smoker, grill or even a slow cooker, I have you covered. Learn how to make pulled pork on any type of cooker.

Comment

Thanks everybody, much appreciated. Have a great weekend

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here