Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    So I went 148F for 24 hours. Chilled and hit the grill until internal was 155F. Probe tender. It ended up being between slicing and pulled. We liked the texture. Pics are in the Show Us thread.

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    SheilaAnn , I've never done one at that temp, but Anova does recommend 145x18 for "sliceable" texture. You may get closer to the "shred/pull" consistency by going 148x36. Try it and let us know!

• SheilaAnn
    replied
    BourBonQ I have a small shoulder roast (under 2#) and am going to try this. Do you think I could go 148F for 36 hours?

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Also a safety thing to chill it before putting it in the fridge or it warms up everything else in there...

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Be very judicious with the liquid smoke in the bag. A little goes a loooooong way.

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    TexasDave I use a PBC barrel and try to dial it in under 250, add a couple more wood chunks than normal, and start with the previously SV'd meat as cold as possible.

• TexasDave
    replied
    @BourBonQ Did this and loved it. Thanks for sharing this!!

I would like to get a bit more smoke on it. Anyone try liquid smoke in the SV? Not keen on smoking before SV.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    @tRidiot: Time in the zone is time in the zone. 150 is above the zone, so no problem. It's the time between say 40*F and ~120*F that poses the most danger. Below 40, most bacteria go inactive, and over 120, they start dying. Between 70 and 90, most bacteria are super happy, so you really want to transit that temp range in a hurry.

Jolt Everybody values delicious, beautiful, perfectly cooked food. But even for restaurants, flavor and appearance of quality are secondary in importance to FOOD SAFETY.  Some people find it “shocking” to discover that no matter how popular your restaurant is, no matter how high the profit margin, no matter how much your family loves you, you will not […]

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    I'm curious why you think it should be 'rapidly' chilled for safety when it's been over 150ºF for 24 hours in the bath?

• tmelosi
    replied
    I've cooked butts like this before and they turned out great. I also started with a frozen butt that I had previously vacuum sealed.

Leave a comment:

• TexasDave
    replied
    Giving this a go - very excited as this could make doing "large cooks" (multiple butts and briskets) much easier and less stressful!

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Add back all of the purge. Don’t even need to process it for clarity for pulled pork. Makes it very moist and delicious.

Leave a comment:

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    Bark and serving temp, being careful not to go past the temp it was SV'd.

• Smoking77
    commented on 's reply
    Last question BourBonQ, did you pull it from your smoker at 150 IT because that's when the bark set, or would it have dried out above 150?

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    If I don't have ice water I submerge in a large bowl of cold water and let more cold water run over it. Works, at least in the winter when the tap water is cold anyway.
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 12, 2020, 01:17 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here