Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ Butt

Who says you can't get a nice smoke ring with SVQ...?

SV: nekkid @ 158x24, chilled in ice bath and refrigerated for 2 days.
    Q: Dried off and rubbed with Killer Hogs, into the PBC for bark, using hickory and cherry, pulled at internal temp of ~150.

Added a very small amount of the purge back into the final pulled product.

Excellent tenderness without being mushy, and very juicy without being greasy.

This is now my go-to method for football tailgating (Lord, please bring back football this fall ), eliminates time and temp guesswork, no matter what size the shoulder is. Works great for ribs too, and can finish everything at the same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_192630.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	829151Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_192742.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	829152
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_193015.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	829153

Thanks for posting. I want to try this method as a backup when I can’t be around all day to do it.

Comment

Cain't see thing one wrong with alla that porcine goodness...looks like great food to me, nice job, Brother!!!

Comment

That looks really good. How long did it take on the smoker to get to the temp you wanted?

Comment

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Hulagn1971 I didn't officially time it, but from fridge to ~150F was less than 3 hrs. Might have been closer to 2.

Slick slick and looks tasty too!

Comment

Nice job. Smoking pork butts is so much fun that I hate to cut it short with sous vide. But you make a great point about having the PB ready on time when company is coming. SVQ eliminates the ETA uncertainty so it fills a niche. I'm going to give your method a try. Thanks for posting.

Kathryn

Comment

Do I understand this process correctly? Put into the SV at 158 degrees for 24 hours, then cooled for a couple days, then into the PBC to bring it up to (only) 150 degrees? Interesting that it pulled like it was cooked to 200+. How do you collect any purge when cooking in the PBC?

Interesting process which I might have to try.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm curious why you think it should be 'rapidly' chilled for safety when it's been over 150ºF for 24 hours in the bath?

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              @tRidiot: Time in the zone is time in the zone. 150 is above the zone, so no problem. It's the time between say 40*F and ~120*F that poses the most danger. Below 40, most bacteria go inactive, and over 120, they start dying. Between 70 and 90, most bacteria are super happy, so you really want to transit that temp range in a hurry.

Jolt Everybody values delicious, beautiful, perfectly cooked food. But even for restaurants, flavor and appearance of quality are secondary in importance to FOOD SAFETY.  Some people find it “shocking” to discover that no matter how popular your restaurant is, no matter how high the profit margin, no matter how much your family loves you, you will not […]

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Also a safety thing to chill it before putting it in the fridge or it warms up everything else in there...

BourBonQ Looks great! I was going to try doing an SVQ pork butt next weekend. Question: did you dry brine the pork before you put it in the bath, or just after you took it out?

Would you do anything else different next time?

Comment

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoking77 Not sure it matters as much with SV, at least for pulled pork. The purge ends up really salty if you plan to use it for anything. I almost never preseason anything I SV these days, except maybe some veggies.

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Last question BourBonQ, did you pull it from your smoker at 150 IT because that's when the bark set, or would it have dried out above 150?

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Bark and serving temp, being careful not to go past the temp it was SV'd.

Add back all of the purge. Don’t even need to process it for clarity for pulled pork. Makes it very moist and delicious.

Comment

Giving this a go - very excited as this could make doing "large cooks" (multiple butts and briskets) much easier and less stressful!

Comment

I've cooked butts like this before and they turned out great. I also started with a frozen butt that I had previously vacuum sealed.

Comment

@BourBonQ Did this and loved it. Thanks for sharing this!!

I would like to get a bit more smoke on it. Anyone try liquid smoke in the SV? Not keen on smoking before SV.

Comment

• BourBonQ
                    BourBonQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    TexasDave I use a PBC barrel and try to dial it in under 250, add a couple more wood chunks than normal, and start with the previously SV'd meat as cold as possible.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Be very judicious with the liquid smoke in the bag. A little goes a loooooong way.

BourBonQ I have a small shoulder roast (under 2#) and am going to try this. Do you think I could go 148F for 36 hours?

Comment

• BourBonQ
                    BourBonQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SheilaAnn , I've never done one at that temp, but Anova does recommend 145x18 for "sliceable" texture. You may get closer to the "shred/pull" consistency by going 148x36. Try it and let us know!

• SheilaAnn
                    SheilaAnn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So I went 148F for 24 hours. Chilled and hit the grill until internal was 155F. Probe tender. It ended up being between slicing and pulled. We liked the texture. Pics are in the Show Us thread.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here