Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ~ Pork side ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ~ Pork side ribs

Normally I smoke baby back or back ribs. I picked up a couple of racks of side ribs that look less meat and from what I understand less tender than the baby backs. Assuming I still cook them low and slow i.e. 225-250F; I plan on cooking on the Broil King Keg or Pit Barrel. How much time do I allow for these side ribs? I normally use the 3-2-1 method, do I change it for the side ribs with less meat and less tender?
    Thanks

Do you have a pic of them? Side ribs? Do you mean St louis cut (Spare ribs) Normally back ribs with a lot of loin meat left on them are the toughest to cook.

Comment

These are them. I am confused between St. Louis cut, Spare ribs and Side ribs. In Canada we know there as side ribs but am still trying to understand if they need different cooking profile from the Back Ribs.
      Thanks
      Click image for larger version  Name:	side_ribs.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	829047 T
      Last edited by Inky; April 10, 2020, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Pretty much all the same thing with different names. St Louis is just the name of the cut from a fulll rack of spare rib where you cut off the rib tips and square off the end of the rack. Make sure to coat the whole rib with the rub. Figure on them taking about 5 hours at 225-250f Nothing wrong with these ribs. Post more pics of the cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
          Pretty much all the same thing with different names. St Louis is just the name of the cut from a fulll rack of spare rib where you cut off the rib tips and square off the end of the rack. Make sure to coat the whole rib with the rub. Figure on them taking about 5 hours at 225-250f Nothing wrong with these ribs. Post more pics of the cook.
          Thanks

Comment

they are much better in my opinion. The meat on them is basically bacon as opposed to loin meat on backs. I cook at 225° no wrap and they take about 6-7 hours. Pull the membrane, dry brine overnight, light rub on the back side, HEAVY on the top. Cook bones down until they pass the bend test. Can glaze with a sweet Kansas City style sauce last 30 minutes if that's your thing.

Comment

You just might find that you like these spareribs better than baby back ribs. I know I do.

Comment

Thank you, everyone. Most appreciated...

Comment

I cook them all the time in the PBC, takes about 3 hours, double hook them so you don't feed the coal gods

Comment

I like these much better than baby backs. Give yourself plenty of time. They usually take me about 5.5 hours running at 250.

Comment

I did two racks of these in roughly 3.5 hours at 300ish last week.
                      Tooth pick slide into them effortlessly.
                      I did make one change, I slathered both sides with mayo as a binder for the rub.
                      Was really impressed with the results, according to the ravenous horde my best yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here