Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Hogs, one smoker - Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Hogs, one smoker - Advice Please

I will be smoking two hogs on a 60" Lang smoker this Friday (indirect heat - fire box adjacent to grill). I just learned that one weighs 72 pounds, the other 95. I believe I can fit them both inside the smoker if I overlap them a bit. We're going to serve as pulled pork.

Question: How long should I expect the process to take?

My original plan (when I expected two 75 pounders) was to cook at 250 degrees for 8- 10 hours.

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance,

BT

I would keep it at 250 but I'm not sure about the overlapping part.

Comment

Sure would love to see this smoke along with how everything goes including carving/pulling.

Comment

Everything Meathead knows is on this page. I would want the shoulders near the hotter side.

Learn how to cook a whole hog the way the pros do it. Our whole hog or suckling pig smoking guide discusses everything from shopping to prepping and serving in our extensive whole hog recipe.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard would you overlap the pigs?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I'm just not sure how or what parts he is overlapping.

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate your consideration. I'm a bit over my head here, but in the past its almost always worked out for me....

By "overlap" I mean that they will be adjacent (heads next to each other with the tail ends away from each other, for example) inside the smoker. The temperature inside this thing top to bottom / side to side stays pretty close (within 5-10 degrees).

Hogs will be trussed so as to be as a dog would be laying down with its paws forward.

I plan to get the shoulders to 200 degrees - should smoking at 250 for 10 hours get me there?

Comment

• Sider - The pigs are on their sides, either both with the feet facing upward or both with the feet facing downward - 1 Point
          • Double Razorback - The pigs are both lying on their backs - 20 Points
          • Pig Out - If both pigs are lying on their sides, one with the feet facing upwards and one with the feet facing downwards. the score for that turn is reset to 0 and the turn changes to the next player
          • Makin' Bacon (or Oinker) - If both pigs are touching in any position,[3] then the total score is reset to 0 and the turn changes to the next player
          • Piggyback - If one pig is completely resting on top of the other, then the player is out of the game.

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, Pass the Pigs is a great game, perfect while waiting for the pork to smoke!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here