Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder - Post-smoke hold like brisket, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    No matter what, it's a brilliant idea, so I'll continue to credit you.

K.

• Hulagn1971
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc and Huskee thanks! I can't take the credit though as I swear I learned of the dryer towels here somewhere from Meathead himself

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I just shared your dryer towel trick on another topic. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Usualy I have already woken up early with the sound of little feet running through the house
    Last edited by Ahumadora; April 4, 2020, 04:45 PM.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Good idea with the dryer towels. If I use a cooler I like to preheat it with hot water from the bath tub spigot. Dump it right before adding the meat.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Ahumadora C'mon man, just start 2hrs earlier. Waking up ridiculously early in the morning is easy isn't it?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I will often do the sprinkle more rub thing, and definitely save the jus to drizzle back on! Amen to all that.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I did a bunch for a graduation party, let 80lbs of foil-wrapped butts sit in pre-heated coolers from 11pm until noon the next day when I delivered them and helped pull. They were the easiest pulling butts I'd ever done. The longer the hold, the better!

• Huskee
    replied
    I haven't read the advice above, so this is probably already mentioned, but here's what I do.

Take it to 200 or so. 197, 205, 210, doesn't matter much. You can do that naked, unwrapped, but it'll take a long time, maybe 16, 18, 20 hrs. You can wrap at the start of the stall (160 or so) to speed it up considerably. You can wrap after the stall (what I do) about 180.

Regardless of the above, take it to the 200 range. Then, you can drop you smoker's temp to 150 and let the meat stay in there slowly falling in temp for another 1-4 hrs, or do the cooler thing ("faux cambro"), or your home oven. Give it at least 1 hr of that hold though. My method as described above takes typically 12 hrs total, including the 1-2hr hold. If you get done way before dinner time, you can hold it for many hours like that, won't hurt a thing.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    It should be tender enough to pull when you take it off the grill, (if ya want to pull it that is). So holding isn't really necessary, but I do hold long enough to be able to pull it by hand., and that can take a while - just leave the thermometer in until it gets to the temp you can handle it at - if pulling by hand.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Usually have the same problem. Hard to wait 2 hours when you have hungry savages gnauring on your ears ready to eat.
    Last edited by Ahumadora; April 4, 2020, 04:44 PM.

• Troutman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    It depends on how soft a texture you're going for. A long hold in the cooler will usually soften it up quite a bit more. As for reabsorbing the liquid, that can easily be drizzled on the shredded meat for the same result.

I have even been known to sprinkle some of my rub on the shredded meat, hit it with a couple of squirts of water from a spray bottle and mix it all in. I get the best unsolicited feedback when I secretly do this. Maybe that part belong in the dirty little secret thread.

Leave a comment:

• Santamarina
    replied
    Shoulder is not very picky. Hold or not if the cook went well it will be good to go. I usually rest mine for 30-60 mins, mostly so it cooks down enough to not burn myself when pulling. I e also done long holds - 12 hours in a warming oven - and they still come out good.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    I do 1-3 hours. Depending on time of my party. And yeah, don’t let it drop below 140.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here