Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder - Post-smoke hold like brisket, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder - Post-smoke hold like brisket, or not?

Noob here.

My question: I'm about to smoke a korobuta pork shoulder. How long do I need to let it hold after I pull it off the smoker?

I read through some brisket threads and noticed some people saying that you need to let brisket hold after you pull it off for hours before you slice and serve. Someone even said that the time off of the smoker is almost as important as the time on the smoker (or something like that).

I'm wondering if the same applies for pork shoulder? So far - all the recipes and notes I've seen here just say let it rest for an hour or however long you need to before serving (without letting temp drop below 145). Haven't seen references to the post-smoke hold being as important for pork shoulder...

If you're doing it pulled, just pull it as it comes off the smoker.

Comment

I hold at least an hour, mainly so it cools off enough to shred by hand. Plus, if you wrapped while cooking, it may reabsorb some of the liquid.

Comment

I always rest mine in an empty cooler with some beach towels heated from the clothes dryer. I like to let it "settle down" if you will before pulling it. I've kept butts held like that for up to 4 hours. Still plenty hot.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I just shared your dryer towel trick on another topic. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc and Huskee thanks! I can't take the credit though as I swear I learned of the dryer towels here somewhere from Meathead himself

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          No matter what, it's a brilliant idea, so I'll continue to credit you.

K.

Personal preference.
        I pull mine my pork shoulders soon after I take them off the smoker.
        Plus the starving horde is waiting at the table....

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Usually have the same problem. Hard to wait 2 hours when you have hungry savages gnauring on your ears ready to eat.
          Last edited by Ahumadora; April 4, 2020, 04:44 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahumadora C'mon man, just start 2hrs earlier. Waking up ridiculously early in the morning is easy isn't it?

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Usualy I have already woken up early with the sound of little feet running through the house
          Last edited by Ahumadora; April 4, 2020, 04:45 PM.

I do 1-3 hours. Depending on time of my party. And yeah, don’t let it drop below 140.

Comment

Shoulder is not very picky. Hold or not if the cook went well it will be good to go. I usually rest mine for 30-60 mins, mostly so it cooks down enough to not burn myself when pulling. I e also done long holds - 12 hours in a warming oven - and they still come out good.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I did a bunch for a graduation party, let 80lbs of foil-wrapped butts sit in pre-heated coolers from 11pm until noon the next day when I delivered them and helped pull. They were the easiest pulling butts I'd ever done. The longer the hold, the better!

It depends on how soft a texture you're going for. A long hold in the cooler will usually soften it up quite a bit more. As for reabsorbing the liquid, that can easily be drizzled on the shredded meat for the same result.

I have even been known to sprinkle some of my rub on the shredded meat, hit it with a couple of squirts of water from a spray bottle and mix it all in. I get the best unsolicited feedback when I secretly do this. Maybe that part belong in the dirty little secret thread.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I will often do the sprinkle more rub thing, and definitely save the jus to drizzle back on! Amen to all that.

Comment

It should be tender enough to pull when you take it off the grill, (if ya want to pull it that is). So holding isn't really necessary, but I do hold long enough to be able to pull it by hand., and that can take a while - just leave the thermometer in until it gets to the temp you can handle it at - if pulling by hand.

Comment

I haven't read the advice above, so this is probably already mentioned, but here's what I do.

Take it to 200 or so. 197, 205, 210, doesn't matter much. You can do that naked, unwrapped, but it'll take a long time, maybe 16, 18, 20 hrs. You can wrap at the start of the stall (160 or so) to speed it up considerably. You can wrap after the stall (what I do) about 180.

Regardless of the above, take it to the 200 range. Then, you can drop you smoker's temp to 150 and let the meat stay in there slowly falling in temp for another 1-4 hrs, or do the cooler thing ("faux cambro"), or your home oven. Give it at least 1 hr of that hold though. My method as described above takes typically 12 hrs total, including the 1-2hr hold. If you get done way before dinner time, you can hold it for many hours like that, won't hurt a thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here