Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder - Post-smoke hold like brisket, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    replied
    Personal preference.
    I pull mine my pork shoulders soon after I take them off the smoker.
    Plus the starving horde is waiting at the table....

Leave a comment:

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    I always rest mine in an empty cooler with some beach towels heated from the clothes dryer. I like to let it "settle down" if you will before pulling it. I've kept butts held like that for up to 4 hours. Still plenty hot.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    I hold at least an hour, mainly so it cools off enough to shred by hand. Plus, if you wrapped while cooking, it may reabsorb some of the liquid.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    If you're doing it pulled, just pull it as it comes off the smoker.

Leave a comment:

• cmotes
    started a topic Pork shoulder - Post-smoke hold like brisket, or not?

Pork shoulder - Post-smoke hold like brisket, or not?

Noob here.

My question: I'm about to smoke a korobuta pork shoulder. How long do I need to let it hold after I pull it off the smoker?

I read through some brisket threads and noticed some people saying that you need to let brisket hold after you pull it off for hours before you slice and serve. Someone even said that the time off of the smoker is almost as important as the time on the smoker (or something like that).

I'm wondering if the same applies for pork shoulder? So far - all the recipes and notes I've seen here just say let it rest for an hour or however long you need to before serving (without letting temp drop below 145). Haven't seen references to the post-smoke hold being as important for pork shoulder...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here