Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco pork butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco pork butts

I did 2 boneless pork butts from Costco on the BGE the other night. They were 7 lbs. & 8 lbs. after trimming. Cooked at 300-325 with peach and pecan wood added to the lump. Took 7 hours to an IT of 198. Although they were delicious, I'm probably done with the boneless ones rom Costco. Whomever did the boning at the processing plant has given a new name to butchering. The last several times I've bought these, I have experienced the same thing.Their boning is so sloppy that I had to tie them up in both directions so they wouldn't fall apart on the grill. Even though the bone-in at the local markets cost more, that's what I'm sticking with in the future. Plus you get a built in thermometer with the shoulder blade. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3-29-20 at 5.40 PM.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	824936

Lately the bone-in butts have been $1.29 at Sam's Club, and they vary in size from maybe 7 to 10 pounds. I used to buy them often at Kroger on sale anywhere from 80 to 99 cents per pound, but have decided I don't like their pork as good as the ones from Sam's.

I've never cooked a boneless butt....

Comment

I’m with you here in that I don’t them buy from Costco either. I always comb through the local weekly ads and when they get down to $.99/lb I stock up. Plus they’re individually pre packaged and ready for the freezer

Comment

For smoking I stick to bone-in butts only. Those Costco boneless shoulders are fine for the crockpot.

Comment

• Catmandu
          Catmandu commented
          Editing a comment
          And also good for grinding up for sausage.

I've only done one from Costco and had the same experience. Makes you wonder who out there is cooking and asking for a product like this? I can't think of a good way to cook a butt where the bone doesn't just practically fall out.

Comment

I do buy them occasionally from Costco, yes I have to tie it up. But like above if I see some elsewhere for .99 lb I'll stock up.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I just bought a couple from Sam's, will see how these turn out.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            HawkerXP I think you will be pleased.

Agree with the comments on butchering. But, If the price is right, I still buy from Costco. Tying only takes a couple of minutes and I have not noticed a difference in flavor between one with a bone and one without. Big difference is the way I cook them now. I now cook them in a pan on a rack to save the drippings to mix back in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pork Butt r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	825126Click image for larger version  Name:	cookf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.87 MB ID:	825127
          Last edited by jlazar; April 3, 2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with the drippings! Or add some to your beans!! Yum.

A lot of Costco's meat cutting sucks. I bought some boneless country style ribs once, and they were all sorts of shapes and sizes; I had to cut some of them down, andothers were so small I separated them for stew. Same thing with chicken pieces. And,the steaks are always too big (not for me personally, but for many).

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            How can a steak be too big?? Does not compute....

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I knew I was setting myself up for that one. 😖

I buy the Smithfield bone-in one's at Harris Teeter or Food Lion when they are on sale for .99/lb. I usually buy at least 2, sometimes 4 and drop them in the deep freezer as soon as I get home.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy 8-10 when I see those prices, and freeze them.

Funny, prefer the Costco because I can spread it out to get more surface area & more bark. Also get to cut the thinner sections off along the cook for "testing" purposes.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            Never thought of that. Good idea.

Count me in with bone in crowd. If you have a restaurant depot card they have bone in usually around $1.35

Comment

My one experience with the boneless butts from Costco was ok. Not great, not terrible. I would buy them again if I found myself needing to cook for a large group and trying to keep cost down as much as possible, but for a smaller group or just my family I'd stick with the bone-in butts from Wegmans (I've been pretty happy with them) or a berkshire butt if I feel like splurging.

Comment

Looking good!

They are a little sloppy after the de boning. When that happens, I usually just throw them on the smoker as is, sometimes I will cut them up into smaller pieces and cook them up. More bark that way too! The deal you get from Costco is worth it, IMHO.

Comment

I too prefer bone-in. Boneless ones that I've bought have always been floppy haphazard hunks. I try my best to just flop them down with the smaller floppier parts on the bottom, pinched in place by gravity.

Comment

I buy the 2 pack at Costco and like it. I always tie them if I’m going to smoke them. But, we often use them for Chile Verde, too. Or a pork stew like they make in northern France. Or I grab a bone in butt at Fred Meyer, when they aren’t expensive. Either way. other than having to tie them, I have found very little difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here