Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrono Pork Ribs - A Throw Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrono Pork Ribs - A Throw Down

Like many of you we're stuck at the house trying to dodge the invisible enemy. We managed to stock our freezers pretty well just prior to the stay-at-home order came down so plenty and a variety of things to cook. Like a lot of you we've been grilling and smoking quite a bit lately.

Well I pulled out a couple of racks of ribs, salted them over night and planned to smoke them on Sunday. As I was about to season them and prep the smoker, SWMBO starts in with the "I don't like all that 'stuff' you put on my ribs" crap that she complains about every time I cook them. Now by 'stuff' she means the usual seasoning with some sort of glaze, like a raspberry chipotle, at the end of the cook.

Given that we've been married going on 30 years, along with the fact that we are fully sequestered here, I've decided to appease my bride so I offered up a throw down. "Honey", I says, "if you wanna put your own 'stuff' on this whole rack of ribs then be my guest. We'll cook them up and the kids can be the judges."

As a background, Mama is Asian and as such has distinct flavor profiles she likes. She's a pretty decent cook in her own right although a lot of what she cooks I pass on. One thing she does like, which I gotta admit is old school barbecue, is to have little or no seasoning on her meat. Salt and pepper and lots of smoke. In fact her tolerance to heavy smoke amazes me, I can't ever get it smokey enough for her taste.

So given that I'm watching her rub her rack of ribs with a little light soy, followed by a squeeze of fresh lemon, a light peppering and chopped fresh garlic. At the end of this utterly bizarre concoction all I added was fresh garlic in a low and slow cook will burn and turn bitter, but whatever. Me, standard stuff, Lea & Perrins wash down, base of pepper & garlic powder with a top coat of Malcom Reed's Killer Hogs seasoning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ribs 05.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	822989Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ribs 06.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	822987Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ribs 07.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	822988

So who's cook would reign supreme? Decided to fire up my pellet cooker with the Smoke Daddy filled to the brim with oak wood mini splits. Went with a 250* cook to let the smoke roll as long as possible before the splits extinguished. Got right at 2 hours of heavy smoke before it tapered off to nothing but what the pellets produced.

Name:	pork ribs 04.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	822990Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ribs 08.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	822991

So away they went. As always I spritz with apple juice every hour on the hour to help set the bark and encourage color. Here's a peak at about the two hour mark. Funny thing is Mama's are starting to look really good, I mean a rich mahogany color versus mine which shows sign of the seasoning turning a dark, rich color....

Name:	pork ribs 09.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	822992

So I'm getting a little nervous, dang those nekkid ribs are looking good. Shove them back in and continue until the 4th hour when I generally wrap in butcher paper for tenderness...

Name:	pork ribs 10.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	822993

Left them for a 5th hour wrapped, left hers for an additional 30 minutes while I exposed mine for glazing with a raspberry chipotle sauce.

So whose ribs reign supreme? Here are the results. To be honest both had their merit. I actually preferred mine, as did the kids. The seasoning and the glaze just added to the smokey taste of the pork. Of course Mama liked hers, she loves the straight taste of the meat with the kiss of oak smoke.

All in all it was a fun experiment. I made her happy, and had a good time in the kitchen doing so. Like most of you we're trying to stay close to home, so we're using cooking as a form of entertainment and learning. Challenge your kids to do the same. Have fun but most of all, stay safe out there guys !!!

Troutman is out !!!!

Name:	pork ribs 01.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	822996Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ribs 03.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	822994Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ribs 02.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	822995

Congrats on the 30 years. And the cook. The garlic didn't get bitter? Both racks look pretty good.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Garlic did burn and turn bitter, I know because I've had issues with that in the past. We just scrapped most of it off at the end.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Mebbe a guy could put th garlic on, durin that last 30 minutes, in a glaze, or either brush garlic butter on th nekkid ones?
      Jus thinkin out loud, so if yall smell smoke, it's most likely jus my brain...
      Beautimous lookin ribs, all around, Brother! Got me a droolin, here!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 31, 2020, 12:20 PM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones - or, as I did, just lay down a layer of granulated garlic powder in the first pass of seasoning along with a 14 mesh of coarse ground black pepper. The obvious advantage is no burning and an even spread. Big hunks of garlic accomplish very little in my estimation.

Both look great. Always appreciate your write-ups.

Comment

Nice write up, and a fun way to try new flavors! And those ribs look dang good, both of ‘em!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Mama's really weren't that bad. Of course the 'cook' had something to do with it

How fun! I'll cook St Looey's like you do, but I really enjoy doing baby backs with S/P/GP hot and fast on Maria.

Comment

Nice family day of bbq, and maybe a little learning along the way! Looks great.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, getting bored and at least it was a good form of entertainment !!

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Getting bored here too. May be one of our biggest problems for a while.

Looks delicious!

Comment

Great write up.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, it wasn't much of a cook but a lot of family fun

Troutman I was waiting for the part where you got nervous she would win and spritzed her ribs with bleach a few times Great looking ribs. I am totally out of pork in the freezer so have to do a run to the butchers soon.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            You know I keep a couple of those cheap plastic spritz bottles on hand when I'm cooking. One has whatever I'm spritzing the meat with and one has this blue cleaner stuff. I did, one time, pick up the blue cleaner by accident and started spritzing away. Much to my horror I had to grab the meat, take it in the house and wash it off. Totally messed up the bark but saved the cook. Needless to say the cleaner stays in the house these days !!!

Both look great. I wonder how marinading in Soy, Mirin, Sake, Sugar, Ginger and Garlic would be.
          Last edited by Old Glory; March 31, 2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I love Killer Hog Bbq rub. rack_slabbath turned me onto it. Family loves it as well. Always gives such a nice color too.

Comment

Troutman Thanks for yet another enjoyable cooking story. I like the way your wife cooks out of the BBQ box. It’s always fun to try something new.

Kathryn

Comment

We went to the grocery this past weekend. Didn't plan on buying meat -- there's plenty in the freezer -- but when country ribs were $1 per pound ... yes just a buck ... I couldn't pass them up. I might have to try Mama T's minimalist seasoning on some of these.

My husband and I are also enjoying cooking-as-entertainment while staying close to home. We were supposed to be on a vacation for a week, driving south down through southern Iowa and Missouri along the great Mississippi River. That didn't happen. Instead, we're enjoying cooking, yard work, and catching up on odd jobs around the place.

Hubby has been exploring what he can do with his new Instant Pot, with a few decent results and a fair number of not-so-decent dishes. I've used it to simmer corned beef (sous vide function without pressure) and made chicken stock (with pressure), and both turned out good. He made some tasty goulash and sloppy Joes too. So I think it has potential.

But I'm getting tired of eating the results from IP recipes where you throw everything into the pot with some overly sweet sauce ... and hope for the best that everything comes out cooked right. Might be a way to get a passle of hungry kids fed, but it sure ain't fine eatin'.

Anyways, I'm getting way off topic. Nice story about the ribs! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks IowaGirl. Cooking at least gets your mind off the boredom. I'm working from home so it feels a lot easier to have something to do but stills not the same. As to your trip, I lived for a time in Macomb, Illinios just east of Keokuk, Iowa. I know and like that drive down the Mighty Missisip. Also canoed a portion of it. Those were the days long gone for me I'm afraid, but have fond memories of that part of America.

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My hubby is from Keokuk, so just a hop 'n skip from your old stompin' grounds. I bet you know (or once knew) how the locals pronounce "Keokuk"?

I'm from far western Iowa, and grew up saying "Ke-oh-kuck". Locals shorten it to "Kill-kuck", said real fast and monotone.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I always called it "Kee-kuk" with the "o" kind of slurred in the middle. Worked on erecting a paper mill building right on the river. Don't know much about it, just another one of those places I've been through in life !!

That's a very nice consolation prize for the runner-up!

Comment

My wife is Chinese. On our second date, I was invited to a BBQ and requested to bring my famous, home made BBQ Sauce. I proudly let Suzanne have a taste from my simmering pot before pouring it into a Ball jar. She said, "That's kind of lame." then began dumping soy sauce and spices into my treasured concoction. What could I do? After the Q everyone declared it was my best batch ever. Years later our Black Swan Gourmet BBQ Sauce Company was born.
                  Last edited by Max Good; March 31, 2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones - Frank Zappa -"Phi Zappa Crappa"

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I, in a moment of naive farmboy ignorance, joined a sorority, instead of a fraternity....
                    Gotta say, ain't mad bout th results, though lol
                    Troutman
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 31, 2020, 08:29 PM.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones - oh we need some elaboration on that incident. Do I smell another story? Come on Bones it's been to long since we've had a good one out of you brother

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here