Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming up on 24 hours...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming up on 24 hours...

This guy has been on the Yoder for almost 24 hours now and hasn’t gotten over 186°. It’s maybe an 8lb pork butt. I loosely wrapped it in butcher paper when it hit 150° yesterday afternoon. I tried jacking the temperature up late last night, then finally decided to go to bed and let the temp alarm wake me up. Well, that never happened because it’s just hanging out, and now my Sunday cook is a Monday cook and I need to go to work.

i clearly have no idea what I’m doing here...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	62FE438A-6FD0-422F-BB83-7754C2718506.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	819143

I've never had an 8lb pork butt take 24 hours.... not saying it isn't possible....

Have you tried a different thermometer to see if temps are correct?
    At this point I would be checking the ambient and meat temp thermometers for accuracy.
    Last edited by Nate; March 23, 2020, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Don’t feel bad. You aren’t the only one. Different cooker, different meat, same story, https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...thinking-wrong

Comment

Jeez. My standalone Fireboard ambient probe (which I just hooked up) shows my Yoder reading nearly 100 degrees higher. That would explain why my pork isn't cooking. Guess I'd better call Yoder.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I was kind of wondering the way it just plateaued.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I routinely cook 10#ers, and they rarely go 14 hours, so when cook time become excessive it is time to check both ambient and meat probes. I had a meat probe go out on a turkey. That bird was done in more ways
          than one.

Throw it in the fryer.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Or move it to the oven / gas grill / or any other indirect cooker to finish.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Bwahahahaha yea fry that puppy. You crack me up Homes. Yea just throw it into a 350* oven and she'll peak out quickly. Sorry for your struggles, frustrating I know. Check your Yoder ambient probe, that may be the culprit.

Clearly you figured out the problem as noted above, but occasionally when I get a lot of wind around my cooker the ambient tells me one thing and the time tells me another. That's when I call it quits and move to the oven (which quite honestly also needs to be replaced because the temp swings on it are far too great).

Comment

Ok, so here's the NEW question! Now that I've got it working again (I had to set the Yoder at 400 to get an actual ambient temperature of 250-ish), is this butt a throwaway, or is it safe to eat? When it was slowly cooling off overnight, it got as low as 165.8. Did that reintroduce bacteria or cause any other food issues? I don't want to give my family food poisoning....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 10.20.35 AM.png
Views:	264
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	819237

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            165 should be safe as far as I know. Danger zone is 40-140 pretty much. My concern, though, would be the outside of the butt if the inside is only 165F

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Based on your graph, your butt is good. My wife and I had an argument one morning about this same thing. In my stupidity, I closed the top vent on my Vision. The butt was at 165 when did it. Night temperatures dipped into low 30’s. Butt was cold. She said toss it, I thought it was still good. Her reasoning: I couldn’t tell how long it sat at what temp. You can.
            Last edited by tbob4; March 23, 2020, 11:22 AM.

Your ambient temp probe was off... how do you know the meat probe wasn't off too?

Comment

I thought to confirm that with my Thermopen a couple of times over the last 28 hours and it was always within a degree or two. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to double-check the ambient temp until you mentioned it, but I'm glad you did!

Comment

Even if the meat probes are accurate the meat spent a long time below 140.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Kind of agree... hard to tell but looks like 5 hours ish….

Based on your description, I believe you were smoking the roast at about 200 and your graph shows the butt holding at at least 150. I went through a "200" phase. I would start at 275 for the first 1/2 hour and would throttle down to 200 for the rest of the cook. I found it to be a bit too low for favorable results. It didn’t enhance flavor or tenderness and actually used more wood. Food would stall forever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here