Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt vac' packed; how long do you think it's good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt vac' packed; how long do you think it's good?

I bought a pork butt on sale couple weeks ago, it's packed in cryovac. I forgot it was in my meat fridge. The sell-by date is 3/12. What's y'all's vote on how long they're actually good past the sell-by? I know ribs are good for a few weeks in my experience. I plan to do the sniff test tomorrow and prep it for a Thurs smoke if all's well.

What say you?

Sniff test works for me. Also color of meat. It's butt so your cookin the crap out of it anyways' unlike tender loin

Comment

1- 2 weeks after sell by date in most cases if bag is intact and refrigerated. Smell test always advised.

Comment

I won't pretend to know. Sniff it and see.
        Last edited by Attjack; March 17, 2020, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I’m about a 5 days from sell by date person. Sniff test is a good tell but not a definite... texture and color can give you some hints as well...

I’ve had food poisoning twice in my life and I don’t feel the need to go down that road again... so I tend to play it safe.

Comment

Thanks all, I was hoping a week would work. Never done it with a pork butt, can't say I've forgotten about one before like this. Will update you and let you know how it turns out tomorrow or Thurs when I cut it open.

Comment

The temperature in the section of the fridge where you keep the meat will make the difference. If the meat has been cold the entire time since it was butchered, that will increase its shelf life. If you’re fridge is running in the 30s or low 40s you are likely fine. Smell it like others have said. Also, check that there are no traces of unusual colors or odd slimy or nasty textures. If not, you should be good to cook.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Yesssss!!!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I do understand all the telltale signs quite well, I was mainly looking for hands-on 'how many days have you gone' advice, but thank you again.

• Jared49
                Jared49 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, what he said!!

Beyond the sniff. Good til the 22nd easy. Rinse it, smell it, check it. Maybe even cut off the exterior like cheese.

You got this!!

Comment

you are fine. Here is a short read on wet aging pork. Granted it is loin, but still.

The experiment was conducted to examine opportunities for enhancing pork quality through the use of post-mortem ageing when combined with different chilling regimes. Large White (LW, n=24) and Duroc×Large White (Duroc, n=24) barrows were slaughtered and alternate carcass sides were either convention …

Comment

My wife’s rule - 5 days after "sell by" date as long as it is refrigerated. She admits that cryovac extends the life and she lets me cheat under those circumstances. She only allows me 24 hours in the fridge if the intent is to freeze because it means I have taken it out of the packaging, having exposed it to room temp on the surface to salt and pepper. I have to go with her rules because she has a degree in Biology/Animal Science. She had butchering classes as well as food safety classes that were required for her course of study. She, too, does the smell test but she is keen on texture, as Nate noted, as well. I have kidded her about wanting to try aged meat. She has said that if she allowed me to buy a fridge with the guaranteed temp and humidity I could try it, which she will never do! Hahahaha.

Comment

From the usda food inspection site:
                    phrases:
                    • A "Best if Used By/Before" dateindicates when a product will be of best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
                    • A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale for inventory management. It is not a safety date.
                    • A “Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. It is not a safety date except for when used on infant formula as described below.
                    • A "Freeze-By" date indicates when a product should be frozen to maintain peak quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.

Comment

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is a fantastic resource. Thanks.

When my kids were younger they "helped" my wife take the groceries in from the car. A pork butt, not in cryovac, was left behind. A day or two latter the car sat out in the hot sun for the afternoon. The car did not pass they smell test.

it was a fun ride home.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ewww...

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This kind of thing happened to me with hamburgers. On July 4th, 2018, I was flipping burgers for 2 dozen folk, and grilled up several batches of burgers, along with hot dogs, brats, etc. I sent my son in to the house with the first full pan of burgers, covered tightly in foil, and told him to put it in the oven to keep it warm.

A couple of weeks later, I was cleaning the disposal, taking out the trash, and looking for dog crap in the house. Then, I opened the oven... and threw up...
                      Last edited by jfmorris; March 18, 2020, 03:13 PM.

• klflowers
                      klflowers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Happened to me with a gallon of milk in the trunk of a car. In the summer in TN. Talk about bad...

Also test fer cooties, cuz ya don’t want ta eat any of those.
                    Last edited by FireMan; March 18, 2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can you get a cootie gadget from Thermoworks?

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      tbob4 oh yeah, fer $39.95, but I have a couple extra so I’ll let ya have em fer $29.95 each.

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh, the Open Box special! Hopefully nobody from the company is reading this thread. We may have just made them a mint!

If it has an off smell, or is starting to get slimy, I toss it. And I dsagree with Dr Seuss - no green ham...

Comment

I agree, sniff and slime test and when in doubt, toss it. I have had both ribs and a Butt smell horribly after opening them when they were days before their use by dates. I'm in the habit of smelling any meat as soon as I open it up out of its packaging.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here