Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First "pork" smoking (Pork Butt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSMTish View Post
    Thank you so much for the help! I'll remove the fat cap and cook at 230F to help gently speed things up. That's crazy the guy took 12 hours to cook 3.25lbs!! Better sooner than later.
    My pleasure. His cook was very likely unwrapped. I don't own any SIFI (set it and forget it) cookers, mine are all manual if you will, so I prefer to wrap.

I hope you plan to share some pics of the maiden voyage cook!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      mgaretz DWCowles Ernest I would love a pellet cooker, been eyeing the RecTec regular and mini both. I would love the chance to put a butt or chuck in when I go to bed and wake up to a mostly done hunk of meat. I've never known that luxury! But I'm ok manning the controls too, so no hurry.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles I'm telling you, you'll own the PBC pretty soon. LOL

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest the PBC doesn't turn me on at all. Besides that I have enough toys for now. 😊

Put it on at 5am and it's sitting at 97F, for some reason my Auber and Maverick temp readings are off by 10+ deg. Everything was dead on yesterday

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Are the probes interchangeable? If so, did you switch them? Could be the probes shouldn't be switched from device to device (I'm just guessing).

Otherwise make sure the probes are right next to each other in the pit and give them a little time to settle. a 10F pit temp difference won't kill you.

Probes have settled down and now show the same thing, meat is already at 149 and it's only been in for 3.5 hours. Am I on the right track or is my probe in fat?

Comment

Not uncommon to rise pretty quickly, but the stall will come around 160 and you will probably freak out when 3 hours later it is still 160

FYI on the cooking time, the weight of the butt is pretty much irrelevant, the heat has to travel to the deepest part of the butt, so a 10 pounder that is 6" at the thickest part will take the same amount of time as a 3 pounder that is 6" in the thickest part.

Comment

Awesome, so much to learn! I really appreciate the help! If anyone is in Rockford IL and wants some meat let me know.

Comment

Just FYI, I used to skip the cambro too but not anymore. It's crucial, especially for brisket.
          The last brisket I smoked started at 5 PM a day before serving. It went in the cambro the next mornig for 4 hours. My best brisket to date.

Comment

Just hit the 5 hour mark and the Auber is doing well. Just tapped each leg to free up any ash. Meat is at 158 and stalling, now we play the waiting game :-)

Comment

5 hour photo, First time opening the lid

Comment

Looking good

Comment

6 hours in and holding at 160, smells great!!!

Comment

Hopefully some others have an opinion on this as well, but while you have a little time to think about it, you need a plan for when to wrap if you are going to, I didn't see where you had decided one way or another. If you are dead set on an eating time, if you are not at 180 3 hours prior I would wrap. 225 is pretty low and it could take quite a while to finish, and sometimes people hit a second stall. If it gets done early than fine, it would benefit from a rest, but I think less than 180 3 hours out is a big risk.

Comment

Okay, it's only at 163F. I might need to wrap and then put it in a cooler to rest. I'll need to plan a longer (14-18hr) cook. We aren't in any rush, our puppy has class at 7 and wanted to have it for dinner if possible.

Comment

Alright, she is wrapped twice in foil.

Comment

Wrap it in double sheets of foil put it back on the WSM till the IT reaches 203 then wrap it in some towels put in cooler to rest 1-3 hours

Comment

I bumped the temp up to 245, meat is at 167F now

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here