Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First "pork" smoking (Pork Butt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSMTish
    replied
    Just hit the 5 hour mark and the Auber is doing well. Just tapped each leg to free up any ash. Meat is at 158 and stalling, now we play the waiting game :-)

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Just FYI, I used to skip the cambro too but not anymore. It's crucial, especially for brisket.
    The last brisket I smoked started at 5 PM a day before serving. It went in the cambro the next mornig for 4 hours. My best brisket to date.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Ernest you haven't heard? I own a pellet smoker but haven't cook with it yet.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    Did I read DWCowles recommend a pellet cooker? LOL

• WSMTish
    replied
    Awesome, so much to learn! I really appreciate the help! If anyone is in Rockford IL and wants some meat let me know.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Not uncommon to rise pretty quickly, but the stall will come around 160 and you will probably freak out when 3 hours later it is still 160

FYI on the cooking time, the weight of the butt is pretty much irrelevant, the heat has to travel to the deepest part of the butt, so a 10 pounder that is 6" at the thickest part will take the same amount of time as a 3 pounder that is 6" in the thickest part.

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    Probes have settled down and now show the same thing, meat is already at 149 and it's only been in for 3.5 hours. Am I on the right track or is my probe in fat?

Leave a comment:

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    That guy was me and that's a pretty typical time for butt, and yes I do not wrap. The long cook is no big deal (when you have a good pellet grill). Just put it on 12 hours (plus a few minutes to pull) before you want to eat and relax for the rest of the day. If it gets done sooner, no big deal, it just goes in the faux cambro until dinner time.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Are the probes interchangeable? If so, did you switch them? Could be the probes shouldn't be switched from device to device (I'm just guessing).

Otherwise make sure the probes are right next to each other in the pit and give them a little time to settle. a 10F pit temp difference won't kill you.

• WSMTish
    replied
    Put it on at 5am and it's sitting at 97F, for some reason my Auber and Maverick temp readings are off by 10+ deg. Everything was dead on yesterday

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee you should just go ahead and pull the trigger on the Rec Tec mini 😊

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by WSMTish View Post
    Thank you so much for the help! I'll remove the fat cap and cook at 230F to help gently speed things up. That's crazy the guy took 12 hours to cook 3.25lbs!! Better sooner than later.
    My pleasure. His cook was very likely unwrapped. I don't own any SIFI (set it and forget it) cookers, mine are all manual if you will, so I prefer to wrap.

I hope you plan to share some pics of the maiden voyage cook!

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    Thank you so much for the help! I'll remove the fat cap and cook at 230F to help gently speed things up. That's crazy the guy took 12 hours to cook 3.25lbs!! Better sooner than later.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Here's a cook another member had today, a 3.25lb butt at 225F took 12hrs. Just for what it's worth.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    You're welcome! It may only take 8.25hrs, but likely longer from personal experience. Meat is a wad of flesh, and each can vary. The good thing about starting early, is if it's done earlier than you planned, you wrap it, hold it in an oven or in a cooler wrapped in towels also, until dinner. If you start at normal time and it takes 3 or 4 hrs longer than you planned, you have some angry starving people to answer to when it's 9pm and no one's eaten!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here