Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First "pork" smoking (Pork Butt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    mgaretz DWCowles Ernest I would love a pellet cooker, been eyeing the RecTec regular and mini both. I would love the chance to put a butt or chuck in when I go to bed and wake up to a mostly done hunk of meat. I've never known that luxury! But I'm ok manning the controls too, so no hurry.

• _John_
    replied
    Sounds good, it's nice for things to go according to plan, but you don't learn that way! You now know the timing at 225 when wrapping, you'll just have to add a few more hours to go unwrapped. Did the foil break on the grill? If you have the butt sitting on the grate cooking, then wrap it and put it back in that spot it acts like glue as it cooks and hardens and will give you a bad time. Either put something down on top or give it a quick scrub with a brush before putting it back in. Never occurred to me that I might have to clean it and I have tore open dozens of them.

When you take the butt out go ahead and temp it so you will know how much rest time is associated with which temps and tenderness. If I wrap tight in a towel and then into a small cooler I am still in the 160-170 range after 3 hours and the tenderness is awesome, even though it is still too hot to pull. Also, try to take your time when pulling, a lot of people just smash them up and serve them, but there are often areas with some stuff you don't want to get a mouth full of, especially on the "top" above the bone where the 2 largest muscles come together.

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    Well the butt is in the cooler, sadly the foil was popped and juices all over the place.. Put another layer over the butt and resting. Since I have plenty of fuel I'm cooking some fat I got to season the smoker.. Still frozen but I think anything will help gunk it up.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    That's fine

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    And three hours minimum or max?

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    You can take the probe out when you put it in the cooler

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    8hrs & 40min we are at 194!! Cooler is ready when we hit 203F (IT). Should I keep my probe in the meet or just let it sit for 3hrs before shredding?

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    I bumped the temp up to 245, meat is at 167F now

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Wrap it in double sheets of foil put it back on the WSM till the IT reaches 203 then wrap it in some towels put in cooler to rest 1-3 hours

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    Alright, she is wrapped twice in foil.

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    Okay, it's only at 163F. I might need to wrap and then put it in a cooler to rest. I'll need to plan a longer (14-18hr) cook. We aren't in any rush, our puppy has class at 7 and wanted to have it for dinner if possible.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Hopefully some others have an opinion on this as well, but while you have a little time to think about it, you need a plan for when to wrap if you are going to, I didn't see where you had decided one way or another. If you are dead set on an eating time, if you are not at 180 3 hours prior I would wrap. 225 is pretty low and it could take quite a while to finish, and sometimes people hit a second stall. If it gets done early than fine, it would benefit from a rest, but I think less than 180 3 hours out is a big risk.

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    6 hours in and holding at 160, smells great!!!

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Looking good

Leave a comment:

• WSMTish
    replied
    5 hour photo, First time opening the lid

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here