Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blasphemy Pulled Pork

Home-smoked pulled pork is just the best, but it takes a long time to cook (10-12+ hours) and everyone wants some of the great bark. (Admit it, you’ve grabbed a few pieces of bark while pulling and before anyone else gets a chance.)

Blasphemy Pulled Pork gets the cooking done in less time (about 7 hours) and every piece has some bark!

We accomplish this by using boneless country-style ribs instead of the usual hunk of shoulder or butt. Country-style ribs aren’t really ribs at all, just shoulder or butt cut into strips. When shopping, look for thicker cuts vs. skinny and again, they should be boneless. I get mine at Costco.

The process is about the same as Blasphemy Ribs, but these take a lot longer and we don’t baste them. In addition, we will cook these to temperature rather than by time, so you’ll need some way to monitor the internal temperature. I use the probe in my Rec Tec, but if your smoker doesn’t have temperature probes for the meat, you will want to get an external thermometer, ideally one with remote reading capability.

You dry-brine the pieces of pork for 6 hours or more with the same rub I use for Blasphemy Ribs (based on Memphis Dust by Meathead) but you can use your favorite rub as long as it has salt and sugar.

Lay them out on grill pan and insert your thermometer probe into the fattest part of a medium-sized piece.

Get your smoker going at 225F and put the pieces in. Take them off when the internal temp reaches 200F, about 7 hours. No crutching, wrapping, mopping or spritzing! Pull and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce.

See all the exact recipes steps and details at BlasphemyRibs.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	blasphemy-pp-raw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	814572

Click image for larger version  Name:	blasphemy-pp-cooked.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	814571

Click image for larger version  Name:	blasphemy-pp-pulled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	814573

Click image for larger version  Name:	blasphemy-pp-plated.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	814574
    Last edited by mgaretz; March 13, 2020, 12:01 PM.

That looks good! I like your inventiveness, and the country style 'ribs' are a good option. Plus, that bark is soo good!

If you keep it up we're gonna have to change your nick name to 'Blasphemy Mark', lol! Nice website by the way

Comment

I like the way you come up with great hacks for good barbeque! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I did that and posted it on here a while back. While it was good, we all preferred the original way with an intact bone in pork shoulder. Yours did come out juicer than mine, so I may give it another go. The process was exactly the same. Maybe a shot of injection would help.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you did! I didn't inject or braise mine. Just let them go low and slow until they hit temp.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like to go to the Dutch oven with these about six hours in. I always put onions, peppers and garlic in the bottom of the oven. I add a bit of oil I’ve oil if I use no other sauce. Otherwise, I make a Mexican green or red sauce. About 1-2 hours later (depending on whether you wants chunks or shredded) you are golden.

That is a great idea! I usually cook my whole butts unattended over night to serve at noon, but your plan would be a great one to serve for supper. One word of caution for everyone. In my part of the country, country ribs are most often cut from the loin and won’t produce the same results as those cut from the shoulder.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 13, 2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's good info. I have only seen the shoulder cut here but will double check if not at Costco. Thanks!

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          @ LA Pork Butt they are often loin here, also... you have to look at the label closely, and I’ve seen pack with both. I’d be leery unless I was sure

Another great idea from great minds, mgaretz and texastweeter . I would have been convinced that the end product would be dry, but you proved that wrong, Mark. Thanks for posting this. And LA Pork Butt , it's good to be reminded only to get shoulder cuts of country ribs for this recipe.

Kathryn

Comment

I had actually picked up some thick country rib strips at the store yesterday, this is show I like to do them. On sale they were like $1.37 or 1.67/lb. The stand mixer's dough hook works wonders at shredding, takes only seconds.

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Why have I missed the dough hook trick? Going to have to try that. Can you load up the bowl or do you have to do smaller batches?

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 It very well could be you who taught me, I don't know so let's say it was you! mgaretz I wouldn't load it up, I'd try one or two chunks and go from there. Shreds will fly, it can get messy if there's too much.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            mgaretz - You can easily do an entire butt at once. Just break it into a couple of large chance and go to town. I would stay on a lie speed and gradually increase it. Tajes about 30-60 seconds to pull a butt.

Not sure this is exactly original. It’s nothing but pork steaks pulled after cooking, been doing this in Texas forever. I do agree the results are really good.

Comment

They look pretty good, but I can get a butt cut in half to cook in about 9 hours with wrapping. Extra surface are for bark (8 sides rather than 4) and less chance of drying out. So I'm not sure it's that much of an improvement, at least for me.

Comment

I thought this was going to be about pork shoulder cut in half to get more bark, not much different though really. Country ribs are always good.

Comment

I often buy the Costco shoulder strips and they are great cooked this way. I really like the fact you can get a lot of flavor and bark. When I am cooking pork for Mexican dishes this is the way I go. As always, your advice is spot on.

Comment

• mgaretz
                  mgaretz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These are from Costco and I do the same thing for my take on carnitas. In fact, this package was 6 pieces. 1 was used as an experiment to get a faster cook and it didn't work. 3 were used to make this batch and the other two were cubed and frozen for later use in carnitas or char siu.

• Ricardo
                  Ricardo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here with the Costco strips. We like to pull them from the smoker when they reach 165-170 internal, then just slice with a knife into discs. Texture is great, holds really well vacuumed pack and frozen, easy to pack as lunch fixings.

Huskee mgaretz - Dough hook works best, but, in a pinch, paddle attachment works, also
                Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1571749272093.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	815580

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice trick. I have never tried it. I have used the big old buffalo chopper for bulk. It will turn pork into tuna if you let it take three rotations. Your method looks really good and could handle bulk without risk of losing a finger or losing good consistency.

Great post mgaretz . Boneless rib meat makes great sandwiches, etc, etc.

Comment

Made another batch yesterday (dinner tonight). Used the mixer method to pull - worked great.

Name:	blasphemy-pp-cooked-2.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	831228

Name:	blasphemy-pp-pulled-2.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	831229

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    mgaretz - I'm glad to hear the mixer method of pulling worked for you. I love it.

• mgaretz
                    mgaretz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dewesq55 - In retrospect, it maybe pulled a little too much. Is this your method or where did you hear/learn about it?

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've been using it for quite some time but I don't remember where I first heard about it. I know I didn't come up with it all on my own, though

I just knew you'd be on a roll with the pulled pork version of Blasphemy. Looks good!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here