Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butt... I'm foiled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butt... I'm foiled.

My first Butt cook this year and 11 hours in and I've decided to wrap for the first time. Have never crutched anything before.
    Close on midnight now and I'm hoping to hurry things along.
    Now I know why I love pork belly so much. Cook time and its versatility make it my favourite pork.
    Butt my conscience didn't want to discriminate against the other pig parts (and the price was right) so it was time to shoulder on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_230622.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	810739

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_231107.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	810740

Need I say more with a Pit name like mine!

Comment

Those things are barked up after 11 hours. I would eat it.

Comment

Those look like meteorites! Quite some bark on that pork. Was this on your kettle or gas smoker? I just crank the heat up now to get butts done.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Kettle. Had a second stall so I wrapped. Both were done within a hour and a half after wrap.

My typical butt cook is ten hours.
        I wrap when the inside temp hits 160-170 and take it to 190-200.
        Never had bark like that!

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude, if dinner ain't on the table at her desired hour I'm meat on a stick.
          It gets ugly, sometimes I don't think its worth the effort to smoke meat around here anymore, its just not worth the fight.
          If I smoke now its during the week when she's at work.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't wrap butts, but what I *have* done to power through the stall is bump the temp of the smoker from 225 to 275 or even 300. The cook goes MUCH more quickly, you still get good bark, without having to wrap.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris 10-4 our Keg wheelhouse seems to be 280-310. I don't mind running above 300.
          Cold temps up here in the sticks don't help right now , in the summer cooks do go down to 6-8 hours.
          I have been using a diffuser filled with water, going to give that the shoe next butt cook and see if that speeds things up mind you I have all day no need to hurry some things.

Turn it to 11.

Is that what shale looks like?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here