Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pork Chop Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pork Chop Recipe

Greetings to All!

A friend recently purchased smoke pork chops at the local butcher. It one of the best pork chops I ever ate. Light smoke taste and it wasn't overly salty. Pork chop looked like it had been brined.

Does any one have a great recipe that they are willing to share?

Thanks

I prefer a thicker cut chop, 1to 1 1/2”. Dry or wet brine over night. Grill hot using a fruit wood like apple or cherry. Trick is to keep it under 140* IT to keep from drying out. Good luck !!

Comment

• jszaagman
      jszaagman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Do you have any brine recipes that you are willing to share?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I just use a simple wet brine; one part salt to one part brown sugar. I don't have exact measurements for you, it's usually about 1/3 cup of each for a pound of pork in about a gallon of water. I generally let that sit at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.

2 bone pork chop and cook with the bones down so it does not leave grill marks. Doing a small cooking class tomorrow with some. I will post pics.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey grill marks are sexy

• MartinNC
      MartinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      don't forget the grill marks bud, S&P for me.

X2 on finish cook temp. 140 to 145, 150 to dry

Comment

My all time favorties are loins cut up into ~1.5 to 2" chops, wet brined in 1 Gallon water+1 Cup salt+1 hour time, season with pepper and herbs and grill/smoke indirectly at 350+ until 140-145. Yum! If 1 gallon isn't needed, cut in half to .5 gal, .5 C salt, but still 1 hour. You can go 2 or even 3 hours. I don't recommend much past 2-3 hrs though at that ratio.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Here is Huskee 's wet brine converted to weight measurements and fully scaleable:

200 g Salt
        200 g granulated white sugar
        3,785 g (1 gallon) warm water/ice

Can be scaled and any kind of salt used by weight
        Fully dissolve salt and sugar in the warm water. I like to put the salt and sugar in 2/3 of the water by weight (2,523 g) and heat on the stove until fully dissolved, then put the remaining third by weight in as ice cubes (1,261 g) to chill rapidly. Chill thoroughly before using.

As all above I like the thicker chops with finishing at 140. I have had a hard time beating the good ol' fashioned dry brine with kosher salt for 18-24 hours then hit with a rub that tickles my fancy. I tend to favor savory rubs. Smoke at 225-235 until 130-135 then reverse sear. Good luck!

Comment

Start simple. Wet brine with a salt/sugar mix for over night (8 hours). I do 1.5:1 or 2:1 salt:sugar. Smoke relatively high but not super high... 275-300F. I'd take them higher than 135-140. I dislike med-rare pork (beef, yes, pork... no. Not a health thing, a texture thing).

I don't rub the chops, but thats up to you. A lot of it is whether you're doing this for dinner or as a breakfast thing. Applewood smoked chops are insanely tasty as a breakfast meat.
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 25, 2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Don't want to hijack a post here, but I am finding that my smoked chops are quite inconsistent and I would like to improve on them. Main question from comments above:

Some say low and slow around 225* while others say hot.....say about 350*. Now that is a lot of difference and I wonder just how long at 350* they would actually smoke (I love a lotta smoke). SO...................

why would you go at say 225* or why would you go at say 350*? For those in the know, which do you prefer and most importantly...why did you decide on your temp preference?????

Comment

• MartinNC
            MartinNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I shoot for the 275-300 cooking range for thick chops. 350 is a little hot for me. I also cook with a big stick of oak or cherry on the coals on a weber kettle. The amount of smoke is usually really good. you can also reverse sear thick chops like a steak after smoking. ooooooowe that's good.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I've always grilled thick pork chops. To me they are like beef steaks, you want a hot sear on the outside and shoot for 140* on the inside using a thermo pen. I would say in response to your question, a hot smoke would come closer to grilling than a low and slow temp. I would fear drying out the meat at 225* but to be honest I've never tried pork chops that way.

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
          Don't want to hijack a post here, but I am finding that my smoked chops are quite inconsistent and I would like to improve on them. Main question from comments above:

Some say low and slow around 225* while others say hot.....say about 350*. Now that is a lot of difference and I wonder just how long at 350* they would actually smoke (I love a lotta smoke). SO...................

why would you go at say 225* or why would you go at say 350*? For those in the know, which do you prefer and most importantly...why did you decide on your temp preference?????
          This is why I do 275. 225 risks drying out the chops (mine are about 1" thick, as above). 350F won't give them much time in there and I want them to take on some smoke. I find that a wet brined chop at ~275 turns out about right for me... it's done, not dry, with enough smoke.

NOW... I smoke on a Weber kettle with the SNS. A pellet grill might need to remain lower or use a smoke tube as I understand that they don't produce much smoke at higher temps. And of course an electric smoker will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post

This is why I do 275. 225 risks drying out the chops (mine are about 1" thick, as above). 350F won't give them much time in there and I want them to take on some smoke. I find that a wet brined chop at ~275 turns out about right for me... it's done, not dry, with enough smoke.

NOW... I smoke on a Weber kettle with the SNS. A pellet grill might need to remain lower or use a smoke tube as I understand that they don't produce much smoke at higher temps. And of course an electric smoker will be different.
            I have been trying to smoke them on a Weber kettle, SNS at around 250*. Then reverse sear at about 135* I figured my PBC which wants to run between 275* to say 325* would be too hot and too quick to get much smoke, but hey maybe I am wrong here. Lots of folks like to smoke chicken at say 325* to 350*. I have tried that, the chicken is even juicer, less smoke though. Also higher temp helps crisp chicken skin..........but hey we are talking pork chops.........but perhaps the juiciness aspect might work with either meat.

Comment

I use 3 inch rib chops. Wet brine with blonder brine for about 3-4 hours. Season with pepper and garlic powder. Smile over hickory at 225° until about 120°. I then pull hit with a little bacon grease and sear on a screaming hit grill, griddle, or black iron pan. Works like a charm. For a change of pace season with rosemary and ginger powder instead of paper and garlic.
              Last edited by texastweeter; February 27, 2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the "smile over hickory".

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                "I use 3 inch rib chops."

That's not a chop, it's a small roast!

IowaGirl - one should always smile over hickory, esp when you're about to face a screaming hit griddle.
                Last edited by rickgregory; February 27, 2020, 06:08 PM.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol gotta love auto-correct

I got a double thick chop I was marinating for tonight. But I had to freeze it because salmon was suddenly on the menu. I think I'll cook it Saturday because we're going to friends for dinner tomorrow and Friday is going to be wing night. I'm going to smoke the chop on a kamado and then sear it on a sear burner. I have not decided which order yet.
              Last edited by Attjack; February 27, 2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here