Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop eating store bought bacon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Probably the cold smoking versus hot smoking. It's just not safe to cold smoke at home though, and hard to do for most unless you have the right equipment. Our bacon is smoked to a safe temperature that kills bacteria, but that is not the case for cold smoked bacon.

If I fry it or bake it in the oven it gets pretty crisp, but my wife still prefers store bought - the kids and I all like the home made bacon better.

• Shockwave
    replied
    So what gives the store bought bacon the crispiness that you don't really get with homemade bacon?
    Last edited by Shockwave; February 28, 2020, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Smoking77
    commented on 's reply
    Good info tbob4 Thanks.

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    Smoking77 get it from one of the web restaurant stores but before checking out make sure they don’t charge you an arm and a leg for shipping. I got mine for next to nothing on shipping but the next time I tried to order they wanted to charge WAY to much.

• Smoking77
    commented on 's reply
    tbob4 Thanks! I'd be getting it specifically for bacon, but I'm sure I'd take advantage of it with other meats too.

• marshall
    commented on 's reply
    Its so easy, just make sure you use meatheads curing calculator

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I might, but I'm not making any promises.

• Andrrr
    replied
    Ok this is next on my list of things to make

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
    It may be hard to believe but I struggle to find pork belly in my area.
    You can order it, I'd bet. OF course, given that you're where you are, you can also just order Benton's, some of the best bacon I've ever had. I can too, but...

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    It may be hard to believe but I struggle to find pork belly in my area.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Ok, I will stop. 🕶

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    Smoking77 - I have the Avantco 13 inch model. I was going through Chefs Steps slicers at the rate of about 1 a year. I paid about $250 for mine. It is heavy and doesn’t have the best angle but it really does well on hot or cold food.

• CaptainMike
    replied
    We had homemade bacon and eggs pizza for breakfast this morning, such a treat!

Leave a comment:

• Smoking77
    replied
    Looks fantastic! Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Smoking77
    commented on 's reply
    tbob4 What deli slicer do you have? You recommend it?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here