Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to make bacon wrapped ribs tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to make bacon wrapped ribs tomorrow.

I've decided. It's going to happen.

I've seen these done a couple-three different ways. I've seen whole racks wrapped with bacon. I've seen individual ribs wrapped in bacon. And I've seen racks with every other rib removed, then cut so that each rib has double meat. That's what I'm going to do: the double meat one.

My method will be simple. Prepare the racks, rub them, wrap them, rub them again, smoke them at 225* for about 3 hours, then sauce them and let the sauce glaze for 30-45 minutes while the BGE cools down.

This will be awesome, I know it already. I'm going to serve them with a Caprese salad and a white balsamic potato salad.

Pics please

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll do my best to document it all!

Mosca, Sounds like a great meal! I'd also love to see how you're going to prep the ribs.

Comment

Night before. I started on the double meat method, but it was a PITA, my knife skills just aren't there. So I stripped the silver skin off 3 racks of babybacks (the St. Louis cuts didn't look too good), cut them into individual ribs, rubbed them, and put them in the fridge. Tomorrow they will get wrapped with bacon, rubbed again lightly, and then over the smoke and fire!

Comment

Keep in mind, the bacon will absorb all the heat and the ribs will be pale, no bark.

Comment

Thanks, Meat. I've never done these before, but I have a vision of what this will be like, both in appearance and flavor. Only the edges of the bacon will be crisp, and most of the rest of it will "tug". The bacon will be cooked enough to bite, but not enough to crumble.

Looking at where I am with it right now, I'm only going to sprinkle some rub on the wrap before it goes on the BGE. I've had good results using fruit woods on ribs, so it'll be apple and cherry. I'm going to smoke it for the first half hour, then let the fire do the rest. And the saucing at the end will be light, just a quick brush.

My thought is that they can't turn out bad, and they have a chance of turning out spectacular. And there is almost no chance of them turning out "meh".

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Definitely pork throughout!!

Comment

So how did that taste? Smoky? Bacony? Toothsome? Delicious?

All of the above?

Inquiring minds....

Kathryn

Comment

Still on. 30 more minutes with the sauce glazing. But I did sneak a nibble and it is really freakin' good.

Comment

Yeah, once you bite down I figure the aesthetic qualities of the ribs' surface won't matter.

Comment

These came out really good, tender, juicy, meaty. A couple of the long thin ribs that wetre on the edge got cinderized, so I wrote those off as cripples. Mrs Mosca says they are the best ribs I've ever made.

Comment

Well, alrighty then. If Mrs. Mosca is happy, you're happy.

Those ribs look great.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here