Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly, water pan or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly, water pan or no?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_185028.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	805320 making some bacon this weekend, first time cooking pork belly , probably smokin on my kettle w/ sns.... any recommendations on using water or go dry?

If you are following the AR/meathead recipe (wet cure etc) then its a short enough cook that i wouldnt bother with a water pan. I would however bother with a pan under the pork belly to catch all the fat thats going to drip off.

and i would also advise a pan to catch your drool when you take it off and inevitably slice yourself some, lol.
    Last edited by grantgallagher; February 20, 2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I can definitely second the need for a drip pan. I forgot one the last time I did pork belly burnt ends. Quite the mess to clean up.

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't think about catching all the drippings, thanks for saving me from a mess!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That about covers all the bases!

I don't use a water pan when I smoke bacon. You kind of want it to dry a bit.

Comment

I routinely cook with water pans but not with pork belly that I am intending to convert to bacon.

Comment

Nope. For sure a drip pan. Oh hell just put some beans in that drip pan below the belly and finish them as you will.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a #1 answer. I don’t get much drip from pork belly for bacon because I go really low and slow and finish it later. However......you put lots of evil ideas into my head. Oh you bad, bad man.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I just nominated you for the Food Game Show. That’s mainly because I don’t think you are full of "beans"........badoom boom !!

Naw

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you be more specific? 🤦

Thanks for the great advice! Ill post pics of the finished product this weekend

Comment

I use a water pan/ diffuser set up but lately its been getting my goat.
          Thinking about passing on the thing from now on.

Comment

Hmmm. I always fill the water reservoir on my SnS when making bacon on the kettle. That said, on the offset I never use a water pan....
            Last edited by jfmorris; February 21, 2020, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats true for me too actually. Its basically just habit, lol. If im using the SnS i fill up the reservoir just because its there.
              Last edited by grantgallagher; February 21, 2020, 08:18 PM.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya know I’ve never thought of that. I add water in the resivore out of habit too

Depends on the cooker, but generally, you want bacon to dry out some. I might use a water pan if I were doing this on my gasser, just to help keep the temp steady. But I wouldn't use one on the Grilla.

Seconding the drip pan. I put some mushrooms down there. I dunno if I shared the PKB Mushroom Process, but 1 lb of interesting mushrooms, cleaned and processed, in cast iron with sherry and some butter. smoke that under the bacon for an hour or so. cut the end off the bacon when ready, dice and add to mushrooms with sherry, soy, fish, thyme, garlic, and apply high heat... mount with heavy cream or butter, crack some chunky pepper, and profit.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a waterpan, just for the fact 1 less thing to clean up and deal with. A pork belly is a really really forgiving piece of meat and hard to screw up.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                And after scratching the wife's new stainless steel sinks cleaning the water pan I'm really coming around to your way of thinking....if I live to smoke again....

SnS water trough is a bit different than a water pan...there’s no clean up. I like to use water for low and slow cooks with the SnS. It helps keep the temps even, provides an extra barrier from the heat, and the kettle is really dry without a little added humidity. No need for a drip pan. Just foil the charcoal grate or foil the DnG if you have it. Honestly I don’t think it’ll make a big difference either way.
              Last edited by Red Man; February 22, 2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here