Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Butts

I have 2 butts in the fridge, that have been prepped with the plan of cooking em today. The problem is I woke up this AM sick, will they freeze okay at this point, or will the fact that they're seasoned already be a problem.

Freeze them, then go straight from the freezer to the pit.

Comment

Quit being a sissy and get out there and cook! Just kidding, freeze em!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, that's one bar off your post count.

• mhalbrook
        mhalbrook commented
        Editing a comment
        I would if it weren't the kind of sick the health department makes you go home for lol. Don't wanna spread it :P

Dr. Blonder has written about freezing and says it is good. It may get a deeper brine and rub flavor into the meat. And like Jarod said If they are brined and rubbed before freezing go straight from the freezer to the rack on the smokers. I do it a lot and it works great.

Comment

It never occurred to me that I could go from freezer to pit. That would make it much easier for a big cook I have at the end of June.

Comment

For an 8-9 lb butt figure and extra 90 min because it started out frozen if your pit is at 225*F.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            yessir, and you just need 60 min on something like a pbc doing 270.

very good info to know. I hit this kind of situation more often than I'd like. Membership fee paid back again!

Comment

Accident to providence...can't wait to try it myself

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here